Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Help recovering from failed rotisserie

Help recovering from failed rotisserie

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Feb 27, 2004 3:45 pm
jenningm raw
raw

I have a leg of lamb that has been on a rotisserie for two hours. Unfortunately it appears the rotisserie quit turning shortly after placing the lamb on the grill and closing the lid. The rear burner used for grilling and in turn the rear facing and "meater" part of the lamb is appears to be quite done and forward facing "bone" part of the lamb appears red and raw. The grill was at ~375 degrees for two hours. Upon removing the lamb the center temperature measured from the meater portion toward the center of the leg and just shy of the bone was 160F. Any suggestions on how to finish preparing the leg of lamb? Thank you.

Post Fri Feb 27, 2004 4:01 pm
chagan well done
well done

Face the undone part toward the burners and cover the done part semi-loosely with aluminum foil. Since you are only covering half the leg, you may want to use toothpicks to aid in keeping the foil attached. This should prevent the done part from getting much more heat. You may also wish to prop open the lid and inch or two so that any heat heading toward the done portion will escape the grill. Perhaps an easier option is to open the grill cover and directly heat the undone portion with the done portion facing up and away from the burners, and covered in the foil as mentioned. Lamb is well done at 170, so one would stop cooking when the lamb reaches 165 (the temp will climb slightly after the meat is removed from the grill) so you have a little leeway on the "done" part left. Hope this helps.

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Fri Feb 27, 2004 5:50 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Great advice Chris.

jenningm welcome to the board! Sorry about the trouble. :(

I'm curious about the rotisserie. Why do you think it failed. Was it old? Have you ever had that much weight on it before? Was the weight balanced? I'm not trying to be nosey, I'm a trouble shooter by nature. Obviously, something went wrong with your motor. If you could share with us what went wrong it could possibly prevent a similar tragidey for someone else.

Thanks. And let us know if you were able to save the lamb.

Return to General Discussion