Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Slighlty off topic Mongolian Barbeque

Slighlty off topic Mongolian Barbeque

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:13 pm
sandman13 raw
raw

Hi

I saw a device once called (I think) a mongolian barbeque it was pyramid shapped and sat on the coals and the way the meat was cooked was by grilling it against the sides of the pyramid.

I have searched for one to no avail. Does anyone know where I might find one or what the actual name is I had an intresting meal once when traveling fixed on one and have never seen one since

Thanks
Keith

Post Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:21 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

We have a Mongolian grill restaurant here in Atlanta, Ga., but it’s nothing as you described. They have a circular shaped griddle that rotate over flames. The people dining there bring raw ingredients to the grill and watch the chef cook for them. It’s very interesting. I wonder if what we have here is an altered version of what you saw?

Post Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:48 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Keith, I've been searching around on the Internet and haven’t had much luck either. Most of the home grills that I was able to find are more like Chinese woks. Weber has one too. However a company called Evo has a home model gas grill, more like a 30 inch round griddle that comes as close to a Mongolian grill as I can find. Here’s a link to their website: http://evo-web.com/main.html

Everything else was restaurants as BBcue-Z described. I’ll look around a little more and post if I find anything.

Post Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:13 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Hey guys. I'm suprised Grand Scale didn't bring up this version of the plate grill/griddle. It comes from the same company as his darling little chile grill.

There used to be a different version called the Red Devil advertised on TV a couple of years ago but they were recalled. Seems they had a habit of exploding.
(Are those mountain oysters or your...?)

Post Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:05 am
hickory pete well done
well done

Keith, I tried to search the internet without any luck also. It does sound interesting though. Perhaps your observation was correct, and that it was, in fact an inverted wok. My experience with Mongolian BBQ is exactly the same as BBcue-Z. Hopefully, someone will read this post and be able to shed some light on it.

Pete

Post Thu Feb 26, 2004 6:28 pm
sandman13 raw
raw

Well its a stumper if I find more info I will post it

Thanks
Keith

Post Fri Feb 27, 2004 12:52 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I've got to admit I've never hear of these things, and If I'd seen one I didn't know what I was looking at! Learn something new everyday!

Post Fri Feb 27, 2004 1:53 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Sounds like it resembles an old fashion four sided toaster. Just bigger.
The kind that sat on a burner, held the bread upright and has to be turned by hand.

Post Sat Feb 28, 2004 11:56 am
chagan well done
well done

YardBurner wrote:
Sounds like it resembles an old fashion four sided toaster. Just bigger.
The kind that sat on a burner, held the bread upright and has to be turned by hand.

How old are you YB? :lol:

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Sun Feb 29, 2004 7:40 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

44. But we frequent antique shops a bit and my Grandmother grew up and lived on a farm near Vidalia, Georgia. They didn't get indoor plumbing until the early seventies. Lots and lots of cast iron goodies came my way when she moved in with my folks. Use them all every chance I get. From cornstick molds to a wedge shaped corn bread pan.

Still looking for this teepee shaped grill thingee.

Post Sun Feb 29, 2004 10:49 pm
dkirn well done
well done

I can't be anymore help - I am only familar with the circular grill used in the resturants

Post Mon Mar 01, 2004 11:08 am
chagan well done
well done

YardBurner wrote:
44. But we frequent antique shops a bit and my Grandmother grew up and lived on a farm near Vidalia, Georgia.

Ok, that cleared it up. I didn't think that you were in your nineties- not that there would be anything WRONG with that. :)

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Return to General Discussion