Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Kamado Cooker

Kamado Cooker

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:13 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Does anyone have a thought or an idea on using a Kamado cooker as a Tandoori oven?
They are similar in shape. Tandoori ovens are made out of clay and the Kamado cooker is made out of ceramic, which is similar to clay. Maybe someone that has this kind of cooker can give us an idea on this.
Thanks.
This is what I found on their web site:
"Grill Dome is actually a contemporary version of an ancient cooker used in Asia for over 3000 years. Mostly made of earthenware and sometimes known as kamado, kayoto, hibachi etc. these cookers produced remarkable cooking results for centuries. Unlike earthenware cookers that could not withstand high temperatures and would crack due to high heat, Grill Dome is made of propriety ceramics and can be used to cook at any conceivable temperature and in the harshest of weathers. In Japanese word kamado means anything you can light a fire in, such as a grill, fireplace, fire pit etc. This cooker originated in China, and is being used in various forms and shapes in many countries."

Post Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:50 am
ThrRoff well done
well done

I believe spfranz has a kamado and has posted a link to a tandoori recipe. A quick search should find it.

Post Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:52 am
chagan well done
well done

Spfranz is the man to consult on the Kamado however, I don't believe a hibachi is in the same catagory. As I recall the hibachi is a somewhat small open faced grill, usually without a cover and I have never seen one with a dome cover at that- I may be mistaken, and will await to be corrected.

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:06 am
Rick rare
rare

Z--I have an Imperial Kamado. It is an eartenware device, unlike the Green Egg which is made of ceramic. I know there are some of the egg shaped devices out there that call themselves Kamado, but I have had an Imperial for over 20 years. You are right, you have to be careful about the high heat. They are so efficient in the way they burn and use oxygen with the upper and lower vents that the temp. can go crazy.

Don't know much about tandori cooking, but thought I would give my 2 cents on what I know about teh Kamado.

Rick

Post Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:56 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Tandoori cooking is usually done in deep wood burning pit made out of clay. It’s a high heat cooking 500-600 degrees F. The meat is usually put on a long skewer (looks like a rotisserie skewer), and then it’s lowered into the Tandoor and cooked quickly. The vessel is shaped like a Kamado cooker and made out of clay (see Steve’s BBQ Bible page #406 for description). The question would be: whether this kind of cooker can handle the intense heat or not?
Rick how high of a temp have you ever achieved on yours?

Post Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:06 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Z, this sounds like a great question for your manufacture as you don't want to damage your equipment. If I've located the correct owner's manual, it states to not exceed temperatures of 700 degrees and you have to be careful not to bring the temp up too fast.

http://www.kamado.com/Owners.htm

Searching Google.com with the keywords; kamado, tandoori, resulted in 354 hits on the subject. Hopefully this can help more than I.

Post Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:36 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Thanks Bob.
I actually don’t have this kind of cooker. I already have 2 smokers and I sure don’t need a third. However, I do want to get into Tandoori style of cooking. I figured the Kamado cooker was the closest thing to it. I did not want to invest in one until I found out it was suitable for this type of cooking.

Post Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:54 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

According to the Kamado.com web page, these cookers can handle a temp as high as 800 degrees (which what Tandoors do). This is great news, I think this thing will work just fine. Now if I can just convince my wife that I need another grill?
Thanks again Bob.

Post Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:45 pm
spfranz well done
well done

I haven't used it as a true traditional tandoor oven, but it has reached temps over 750 (that's all the higher my thermometer goes). Most people on the Kamado forum who make tandoori chicken just cook it directly at these high temps. I'd suggest going to http://www.kamado.com/discus and doing a search on tandoori. Lots of techniques and recipes for chicken, naan, etc.

The way to convince your wife is to show her a picture and let her pick the color. Worked for my wife. Of course, I have one of those wives who lets me buy whatever I want so I'm kind of blessed that way.

Scott
I like vegetarians. Some of my favorite foods are vegetarians.

Post Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:15 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Thanks for the link Scott it was very helpful. I guess I wasn’t the only one that saw the resemblance of the Kamado and the Tandoor.
Check out the pix of Naan bread at this link: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/schokshi/naan_bge.htm

Return to General Discussion