Board index Barbecue Board Testimonials Matambre

Matambre

Share your war stories, your successes, and how Steven's books have changed your cooking from charburgers to grilling magic.
Post Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:44 pm
smbruce rare
rare

My first real grilling I tried was the matambre from the "How to Grill", somewhere around page 72. It has turned out great and I have started to modif it a bit to suit our specific taste.

This is something I wish I had grown up doing!!!

Mike

Post Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:03 am
Grillslinger BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Sounds like everything came out great! Hope you keep it up!

Post Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:01 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board smbruce! :D

Keep cooking those great dinners and if you get a chance take some pictures to share those fantastic meals with us. 8)

Post Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:09 pm
smbruce rare
rare

Bob-BQN:

Thanks. I would not have thought about taking pictures until I saw your site.

On the matambre: although I liked it very well, I think it turnd out a bit dry. In both cases, I overheated it by about 3-5 degrees.

So, since the recipe calls for 180 degrees, should I/can I pull it off at 170? From other parts of th book, etc., it seems that there is an argument that meat continues to cook after the grill.

Thanks,

Mike

Post Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:56 pm
spfranz well done
well done

The general rule is to take the meat off 5 degrees early. It will rise at least that much as you let it sit before carving or serving.

Scott
I like vegetarians. Some of my favorite foods are vegetarians.

Post Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:18 am
jrroz medium-rare
medium-rare

I've been wondering about the matambre. Since you wrap it in foil and only poke a couple of holes, do you get that great smokey flavor by doing it on the grill at all?

Post Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:11 pm
smbruce rare
rare

Yes, it worked for me this second time, but I added some soaked mequite chips.

The recipe calls for more than a few holes. One every inche or so means a pretty good patern. I used the instant read thermometer to poke the hols instead of a knife, so, since that makes a bigger hole than a thin knife would, that also might ecplain the almost dry taste as well as allowing some smoke to get in there.

In addition to the maple bacon on the outside, I added some prosciutto, cut thin, to the inside. The next time I might try some spieced parma ham, since it is a bit juicier.

I think watching it more closely and then also taking it off five degrees early will be my next step.

This recipe has a lot of potential since you put virtually anything in it. I would also consider using something spicier than kolbasa sausage.

Post Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:09 pm
spfranz well done
well done

Just curious, has anyone tried doing a matambre tied with butcher string instead of wrapped in foil? I'm thinking that bacon on the outside would keep things moist and a couple of skewers or more butcher string would keep stuff from falling out the ends.

Scott
I like vegetarians. Some of my favorite foods are vegetarians.

Post Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:18 am
smbruce rare
rare

Scott,

I tried it without string b/c I had none, and it turned out fine.

I simply treid to roll it as tight as I can and then made sure that the aluminium foil was as tight as possible, andthen placed it over direct fire, after letting it sit in the fridge overnight..

The bacon turned out as a nice crusty exterior.

Mike

Post Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:36 am
mzungu70 well done
well done

Hi,

Yeah matambre is one great hunger killer .........

dave
I Bar-B-Q to live and live to Bar-B-Q

Post Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:48 am
michiganbutcher medium-rare
medium-rare

Scott - love that picture of the crown roast in your sig - looks beautiful!

As far as the matambre goes, since it's beef I don't see a problem pulling it earlier than 180 degrees, especially if you think it's getting overcooked.

Post Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:07 pm
mrgrumpy well done
well done

I too tried it after seeing it in the HTG book.... we love it. Guess since it has been a while since I done one (actually 8), looks like they will be on the to do list. I don't remember the temp them I pull it at, but since I like my beef medium, I tend to pull them a little earlier...

Bill

Return to Testimonials