Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion rump roast ?

rump roast ?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Tue Feb 24, 2004 7:48 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

If it's meat, you can smoke it and a lot of times, it doesn't even have to be meat :wink:

Post Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:40 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

If I remember correctly, rump roast have to be braised in liquid for a long time (just like chuck), that’s what’s used for pot roast. I would use a beef brisket or pork butt if the price was an issue.

Post Wed Feb 25, 2004 1:26 am
Vinsect well done
well done

I smoked a roast beef tonight and it was the best I've ever had. I forgot exactly what cut of meat it was. I think the mop sauce had a huge part to making it so good though. That and it was smoked over oak in a pan. The mop sauce and beef juices made a broth with potatoes, carrots, onions, half a lemon and a jalepeno swimming in it. It couldn't get any juicier.
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Post Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:57 am
Rick rare
rare

I have been smoking eye of round roasts for quite sometime. I just finished 2 of them this last Sunday. I rub them with equal parts of paprika, granulated garlic, and ground ginger, with a little sea salt and pepper to taste. Smoking with applewood at 225 degrees, I smoke until the meat comes to about 140 degrees. I then slice it (with a commercial slicer) sanddwich slice thin. I haave been taking the meat to work with me in 1 pound packs, and my coworkers take everything I bring in. I have to do about four roasts per week to keep them happy. Of course, I am also selling 60 pounds of pulled pork, 20 chickens, 15 racksof baby backs, and brisket evry week also. My coworkers are BBQ hungry!!!

Rick

Post Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:59 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Rick you cookin' all this grub in your new Traeger? How long you been keeping up that pace?

Post Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:58 am
Rick rare
rare

Bones--Rump and eye of round are completely different. Your butcher should be able to cut one up for you. The length of time varies with what temp you are cooking at and how well you maintain a constant temperature. I can usually acquire the desired 140 in about 5 or 6 hours. It depends on whether I only use the pit or whether I put heavy smoke on it with the pit and move it to the Traeger. The traeger can maintain a more constant temp because it has an electronic thermostat device that drives the pellet augers to keep a constant flow of pellets.

Bob--I use the Traeger and the Pit. If I am trying to get the meat done in a reasonable day, 16-18 hours, I use both. I like the smoke that the pit produces, so I like to get several hours of good applewood in the pit before moving it. If I am Just putting out lighter smoked chicken halves, then the Traeger works fine. Although, this week I have found a new use for the Traeger, Jerky. With the device on "smoke" setting, it maintains 100-1120 degrees, and I did a 5 pound test batch of beef jerky, made from bottom round, on Sunday. Smoked it with apple pellets for 12 hours, and finished with hickory pellets for 2 hours. I ended up giving it all away at work in a couple of hours, for ssamples. Tonight I am just finishing up a 20 pound batch and will sell it for $15 a pound. Shouldn't be gone in the next couple of days. The ssamples were a big hit. People are already talking about stocking up when they go hiking and fishing.

I have been smiking large quantities for the last 4 months. I got the Treger in November and it hasn't missed a weekend yet. And I usually have it going 1 or 2 days during the week also. I smell like I have been standing in a campfire most everyday!

Post Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:24 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I have three smokers but dream of the day I'll own a real Pit.

I just bought my son a jerky making kit so we're fixin' to delve into that area as well. So you smoke it at 100 dregrees for 14 hours?

Keep up the good Que!

Post Fri Mar 26, 2004 7:39 pm
Rick rare
rare

Bob--Yes, the Traeger will cold smoke very easily. So, I can set it settle in on smoke setting and it will maintain a 100-120 degree temp. It takes 12-14 hours to cure the meat. Also, it depends on how thick the meat has been cut. I have the butcher cut the bottom round in 1 inch wide slices that are about 1/2 inch thick. When it is done, the jerky will have shrunk down to 1/4 inch or less in width. Another thing to remember is that the jerky will continue to cure, and change in consistency. So, a week or two later it will be dryer than it was when you took it off the smoker. I definitely like to put it in foodsaver bags, and place it in the refrigerator, to store it. rb

Post Fri Mar 26, 2004 7:41 pm
Rick rare
rare

I meant to say--1/4 inch or less in thickness! rb

Post Fri Mar 26, 2004 7:59 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Thanks Rick.

We've smoked jerky twice already and are goin' at it again tomorrow. Since the kids are using hamburger to make the jerky, it takes only 6 to 7 hours at 150 degrees to finish.

You make the hearty stuff. I'll bet it's good.

Post Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:56 am
MReynolds well done
well done

Bob, can you post some pics of that jerky on your webpage? I've done jerky many times in the past in a Luhr Jensen Big Chief Electric Smokehouse. My cuts are always flank steak trimmed 1/4" x 1/4". Makes for some great jerky. I'm curious as to how jerky made with hamburger turns out.
Mike
ImageImage
PETA - People Eat Tasty Animals

Post Mon Mar 29, 2004 12:18 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Mike,

I've got loads of pictures from this month that I'll be posting soon. Among them are pics of the jerky that my boys have made (almost every weekend). :D

Post Wed Mar 31, 2004 4:29 pm
MReynolds well done
well done

Bob, I jumped over to your webpage to view the pics. Tell your boys they did a fine job.

I'm curious though, does the hamburger jerky crumble or fall apart when eaten? Or is the consistency more like that of store bought processed jerky in a plastic pouch? I've seen jerky which appears to have the composition of processed meat "slurry" (for lack of a better term) which is then dried and packaged for sale.

Mike
ImageImage
PETA - People Eat Tasty Animals

Next

Return to General Discussion