Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Rare or Well Done?

Rare or Well Done?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Fri Feb 13, 2004 1:45 am
Vinsect well done
well done

I do like carmelization and crispness on the outside. If I can have that and keep juicy pink on the inside I'm all for it. What internal temp range what do that?
I'm assuming this is easier done on a thick cut with a good sear too right?
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Post Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:09 pm
chagan well done
well done

Here is the basic guide Vinsect. To get that crisp exterior you want the fire roaring, about 700 degrees or hotter if you can. Also, as mentioned by a guest poster, if you can find any CharCrust in your area supermarkets I suggest giving it a try- it puts a great tasty crust on the steak. Cheers.

Rare - bright red in the center and lighter pink towards the outside, 140 degrees
Medium - light pink in the center and brown towards the outside, 160 degrees
Well done - brown consistently throughout, 170 degrees

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:20 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Another trick is to start the meat without letting it come up to room temp.
Steak houses cook them straight from the fridge.
It lets the outside crust up while the inside comes up to temp slower.

Make sure the surface is dry. Oil and seasonings are ok but water and water based marinades seem to just steam the meat.

As with BBQing, marinades containing sugar will burn quicker and taste bitter.

But, the most important step is to allow the meat to rest to re-distribute the juices.

Post Fri Feb 13, 2004 1:17 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

I could see if some of you medium/rare guys got some carmelization going with higher heat but good grief, if you're just browing it some and the fat hasn't begun to carmelize in glorious cripsy sizzle releasing all that wonderful juice, you're not getting the full benefit of live fire cooking IMHO.

Post Fri Feb 13, 2004 1:44 pm
chagan well done
well done

Actually, Airfoils it will carmelize quite a bit at that temp. For the record I like mine in the medium range and this works out just fine.

Post Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:25 am
2beast medium-well
medium-well

As keeper of the flame at this address, Steaks get served medium rare to medium. Wife always asks for well but I don't have the heart to kill that cow again.
Side note............... Recently at a restaurant my wife ordered a steak (which she rarely does).
When our waitress asked how she wanted it done , she says "well done". I almost leaped across the table ...................."A poor cow had to die for that!!". So I suggested Medium......................Wife justs looks and says " I always tell him to make sure it is well done..................I guess I have been eating medium all this time".
Secrets out......................

Post Sun Feb 22, 2004 1:24 am

Hello all, great site and first post.
When I go to a restraunt I order my steak Xtra Well. And generally get it either burnt or what Chagan calls medium. When I'm grillin its generally what Chagan calls medium, what I would call Well. The unfortunat thing is that most restraunt cooks (I don't mean steak house cooks) don't know how to cook a steak. I look for around 160-165 for my steaks, just a strip of pink. Notice I said pink, not red. Like someone else said earlier most restraunts cook straight from the freezer. Anyway thats my two cents. 8)
It aint broke, it just lacks duct tape

Post Sun Feb 22, 2004 12:07 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Appliancedude,

Welcome to the board! You'll find lot's of good information around here and as you've probably seen, a lot of good recipes as well. Stick around and join in the madness!

Post Sun Feb 22, 2004 1:24 pm
chagan well done
well done

I must verify my past statement. What I meant be medium was pink throughout most of the interior ( not just a little hint in the center), with maybe a litte more toward rare near the bone. Is this medium rare, or rare well done, or well done rare, or medium done rare well? I'm so confused. I never did get the two word combo thing down. Perhaps someone can help me by describing the 2 word hybrids to me?

Post Sun Feb 22, 2004 1:35 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

chagan wrote:
I must verify my past statement. What I meant be medium was pink throughout most of the interior ( not just a little hint in the center), with maybe a litte more toward rare near the bone. Is this medium rare, or rare well done, or well done rare, or medium done rare well? I'm so confused. I never did get the two word combo thing down. Perhaps someone can help me by describing the 2 word hybrids to me?

If I'm understanding you correctly, I would classify what you're describing as somewhere between rare and medium rare.

Post Sun Feb 22, 2004 1:38 pm
chagan well done
well done

Thanks Airfoils, so it goes a little like this
Rare, medium rare, medium, medium well, well. Is that correct?

Post Sun Feb 22, 2004 1:42 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

chagan wrote:
Thanks Airfoils, so it goes a little like this
Rare, medium rare, medium, medium well, well. Is that correct?

Pretty much unless you want to include raw and burnt on the extreme ends of the spectrum :lol:

Post Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:15 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

chagan wrote:
Rare, medium rare, medium, medium well, well.

Hey Chris, that sounds a lot like the RANKINGS we use here on the board :wink:

Post Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:25 am

So I guess that makes you "Burnt Bob" :lol:

Post Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:26 am
chagan well done
well done

That quip was from I.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion