Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Side Burner -- or not?

Side Burner -- or not?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Jun 17, 2003 5:28 pm
Jer

I am looking at purchasing a Weber Genesis Gold grill, but I'm trying to decide whether or not I should get the one with the side burner. Does anyone have thoughts on this?
Thanks
Jer

Post Tue Jun 17, 2003 5:38 pm
cn

Hi,

I just bought a Weber Gold C with side burner, paid an ditional ?$80 for the side burner (compared with B series without side burner)

It is a wonderful grill and you will enjoy it. It does not hurt to have a side burner.

You may not want to use it during strong wind (but you can use the side burner if you make a small rectangular sleeve from ? aluminum sheet or something similar to shield the flames from the wind).

Enjoy the Gold C grill.

Cam
Chicago, IL

Post Tue Jun 17, 2003 7:52 pm

I use mine more than I thought I would. There are some items that you could cook inside on the oven, but it is much more convenient right next to your grill.

Post Wed Jun 18, 2003 11:41 am
ellem52 raw
raw

You should definitely get it
Mmmm meat

Post Thu Jun 19, 2003 8:34 pm
leo

i have to disagree with the previous posters -- i think the side burner is a complete waste of money. i wish i didn't have one.

at my house the grill is about a 10-foot walk from the kitchen stove, so if it's a longer walk in between it might be more convenient.

Post Thu Jun 19, 2003 11:44 pm

It's a personal thing. I had one. Never used it. Didn't get a side burner when I bought my Weber Gold grill. Don't miss it.

But you might love it.

See what I mean?

Apoc

Post Fri Jun 20, 2003 1:10 pm

This may be sacrilege, but I bought mine with a side burner, mostly for boiling shrimp and other strong smelling foods. However, I didn't want to lose the work space, and I got a Thermos, not a Weber. Love it. The side burner hides away under a cover that makes a flat working surface, giving you two full sized flat work surfaces. No wasted work space as with the Weber.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents!

Happy Grilling!!

"A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness."
Elsa Schiaparelli (1890-1973) Shocking Life

Post Sat Jun 21, 2003 12:15 am
Big E

When I purchased by latest grill I opted for the side burner and after 2 years the only thing it's been used for was a resting place for a second pan. (I have a table on the opposite side for the first)

I think they're a novel idea and if you can find enough uses for it then by all means spend the extra ~$80. I myself have little need to the gadget.

Cheers,
Big E

Post Sat Jun 21, 2003 1:55 am
NYC BBQ

Ive had a weber with a side burner for about 5 years now and I happen to use alot.
It comes in handy when making sausage and peppers as well as outdoor get togethers when you need to fry something up or keep something warm.

Furthermore, why bother messing up a clean kitchen when you can make a mess outside...

Post Sun Jun 22, 2003 9:05 am
First Post

Just my 2-cents.

I'd rather have a turkey cooker burner for supplemental cooking. It'll take big frying pans, if needed to brown up a batch of onions in olive oil. It'll handle boiled shrimp, boiled potatoes, corn on the cob, just to mention a few items that may not fit on the grill along with the steaks.

A Coleman camp stove (propane or Coleman fuel) is another good alternative. Top it with a griddle for some meals. With TWO burners, you can have a pot of coffee on one and boil your mopping sauce on the other. Or, fry up some bacon while heating baked beans, for example. When the grill's full of chicken, multiple secondary burners can help the cook get everything ready at the same time.

Personally I'd rather have the unencumbered shelf space beside the grill. And, I can put those portable cookers where they best fit for any given situation. Makes it easier when helpers aren't elbowing for room in front of the grill to work.

You can't have too many stoves/cookers in the backyard! :D

Return to General Discussion