Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion BBq ribs

BBq ribs

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Thu Feb 05, 2004 7:46 pm
spfranz well done
well done

For a low carb rib rub, try Steve's Puerto Rican Pig Powder from the Sauces and Rubs book. Great flavor, no sugar at all. Don't bother with a sauce, the flavor is all in the rub. I spent 3 months making ribs almost every weekend trying every rub and sauce that I could find. This always came out as everyone's favorite.

Scott
I like vegetarians. Some of my favorite foods are vegetarians.

Post Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:31 pm
slard

thank you all for the replies. i, too, wasn't sure about the sugar substitutes, but i'll take your tout on splenda, BBcue-z. i'll certainly give your idea a try as well YardBurner. i already incorporate the cracked black pepper and my home-made voodoo dust (habanero) in my rub. a little tweaking like you said and i could have a whole new experience. i know at least one of the low-carber guests loves the heat as long as my hand doesn't get too heavy. the voodoo is truly dangerous. with your strong recommendation spfranz, i'll have to seek it out. it's got me salivating.

Post Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:45 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I love doin' different things to ribs.

When you buy the cryo pack at Sam's etc. you get 3 racks. I cut 'em in half and play around (keep notes - bbq log) and do six different flavors. Everyone can find a taste they like.

My personal preference is dry rub no sauce.

Post Fri Feb 13, 2004 8:18 am
kip horn raw
raw

If I recall correctly from Steven's TV show he seemed to indicate that if the ribs fell off the bone, that it probably meant that they were boiled first (which he of course objects to).

As many others have noted, the ribs should be done when the meat pulls back from the end of the bone.

Kip

Post Fri Feb 13, 2004 10:56 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

We try to avoid the 'boil' word around here as it contains four letters and is offensive to some :) .

Kip, you can still achieve "fall off the bone" at low temps. Most don't care to cook ribs to that point because they tend to lose their texture. Wrapping the ribs in foil after they pull back from the bone and overcooking them will cause the meat to shrink back further and break down the fats. If left long enough, you will have fall off the bone ribs.

Post Tue Feb 17, 2004 6:05 pm
Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

Hi, Farmgirl,
One simple solution would be to wrap the ribs in heavy duty aluminum foil half way through the smoking process.
You do this after the ribs are darkly browned and have plenty of time to soak in the smoke flavor. Wrapping them seals in the moisture while you finish cooking the ribs. Indeed, this is what the pros do at Memphis in May and the Jack Daniels.
You may also want to consider shortening the cooking time.
Let us know how it works out.
Steven Raichlen

Post Sat Feb 21, 2004 10:01 pm

:D It worked!
I sprayed the ribs with apple cider and vinegar and wrapped them in foil for the last two hours.

I have a boston butt roast in my freezer any suggestions on BBQing this ?

Farmgirl

Post Sun Feb 22, 2004 11:17 am
Airfoils well done
well done

Me thinks it's time for Farmgirl to make a purchase :D

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... s&n=507846

Post Mon May 10, 2004 5:09 pm
farmgirl

Does a person have to soak the wood if the wood is green? We have a bunch of apple trees in a pasture I go and get for BBQ ribs.

Is it O.K. to use apple and Hickory wood together?

Post Tue May 11, 2004 8:54 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Howdy farmgirl,

There is no need to soak green wood at all. As a matter of fact if you're using chunks you may use them wet or dry if you prefer even if it's seasoned wood. I've stopped soaking chunks since they smoke well and don't ignite in my smoker. Wood chips, however should be soaked as the can catch fire and burn up quite easily.

It is O.K. to blend woods to smoke. They do it with pipe tobacco for the same reason, one wood can help to mellow another, or just create a different flavor altogether. I've used apple with hickory and also with pecan and both were good. The wife even commented on how she liked the blend better. Let me encourage you to experiment and try different combinations.

Have fun!

Post Thu May 27, 2004 5:37 pm
messickzr rare
rare

Simple question, but I recently purchased a new Weber Genesis Gold B and I have never had a grill that gets as hot as this one or cooks as well. On my old charbroil, I didn't have a thermometer, so I just guessed that one burner off and the other on about medium I would end up with good indirect grilled ribs, pork loins, or beer can chickens. However,my new grill has a thermometer and I was wondering about what temps a person should have the grill at for ribs, beer can chicken or even a roast?

Post Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:29 am
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Grand Scale wrote:
It's my grill and I'll spell how I want to! :wink:

"Me Fail english?, that's unpossible!" - Ralph Wiggum

Amy, just so you know, he also has a tendency to repeat himself, himself.

(This was from Feb 5th of this year) :lol:
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Previous

Return to General Discussion