Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Blackened Catfish

Blackened Catfish

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:05 pm
Katman0625

I'm looking for a good recipie for blackened catfish on the grill. Any suggestions?

Post Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:58 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Blackened catfish is usually done on a cast iron skillet or a griddle. The fish is usually coated with Cajun spices, and then it’s seared on both sides until the spices are dark and caramelized. You can grill the fish, but I don’t think you’ll be able to achieve the same results. Another way of doing it will be placing the cast iron skillet directly over the coals. This may give some of the grill flavor.
Here is the recipe I use:
Blackening Spice Rub: (or use Steve’s Cajun Rub from “How to Grill” book)
1 tablespoon coriander seed
1 tablespoon black peppercorns
2 lemons, zest, dried
2 oranges, zest, dried
1 teaspoon Thyme, dried
1 teaspoon Oregano, dried
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon Spanish paprika
1 teaspoon of each granulated garlic and onion
1 teaspoon of white pepper
Salt to taste
Prepare the blackening spice. Put all whole spices into a coffee grinder and grind for approximately 1 minute. Mix the remaining spices and stir well.
Place the fillet on a plate and generously rub the blackening spice onto the flesh. Heat 2 tablespoons of canola or peanut oil (these oils have high smoking points-do not substitute) in a cast iron skillet until it smokes and carefully place the catfish filets and blacken both sides of the fish .If cooking on the grill, move the skillet to a cooler part of the grill (or an oven), and finish cooking until the fish is flaky and tender (about 10 minutes).

Post Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:19 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I've had good results with blackened fish on the grill. Now I know its not "true" because its not in a skillet but then again I'm also using a gas grill too. :wink:
I season like BBcue Z says then I simply use a slightly lower heat than I normally would for fish and as it cooks I either baste with olive oil or butter or spray with oil from a Misto. Works great by me!

Post Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:34 pm
chagan well done
well done

I haven't tried this one, but I have tried other dishes of theirs and they are exceptional.

http://www.epicurious.com/run/recipe/vi ... rd=catfish

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Return to General Discussion