Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint Good Q in NY?

Good Q in NY?

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:46 pm
matthewhickey medium-well
medium-well

Hey Everybody, I am going to Long Island next week and I was wondering and hoping against hope that there may be a good Q place in the vicinity. Any chance? If not, does anybody know of any good restaurants around the area. I think I am staying in medford.

Post Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:20 pm
crmos8 well done
well done

Pretty sure I saw a post somewhere that stated that Dinosaur BBQ of Rochester and Syracuse fame opened a place in NYC. Not sure of exact location however.
If you're not the lead dog, the view's always the same.

Post Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:30 pm
chagan well done
well done

Dinosaur BBQ:
646 W 131st St, New York, NY

Daisy May's BBQ (a couple of tables but designed for take-out)
623 11th Ave
New York, NY 10036
(212) 977-1500
(you may run into a street vendor or 2 roaming the city as well)

Also, Blue Smoke:

Blue Smoke
116 East 27th Street, 212-447-7733).
Hours: Monday through Saturday, 5:30pm-1am; Sunday, 5:30pm-11pm.

That's about all she wrote for NY- until I get my joint :wink:

matthewhickey,as far as good restaurants, my friend, this is NY- the ONLY thing we're short on is BBQ unfortunately. What are you in the mood for? I may be better able to help if I know. If your on the Island, there should be plenty of excellent seafood, Italian, Greek, etc etc restaurants I can recommend. Let me know what you feel like having or trying for the first time, and I'll do a little research for you. Of course, any pizza joint will be fantastic, here are some other listings to start with in Medford:

Hey, look what I found:

Ruby Ribs & Barbeque
3135 Route 112, Medford, NY 11763
I've never been there, so I can't tell you if it's good or not- but it IS close :) Has anyone here tried the place? How about it Sledneck?

Cheers

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:06 pm

There is a relatively new place located on route 347 in Smithtown called Famous Dave’s. It should only be about 10 minutes from Medford. I have never been there but my in-laws have and they said it was good. There is another place on Middle Country Road in Centereach but I can’t for the life of me remember the name. It’s across the street from Walmart. Other than that not much Q on Long Island.

Famous Dave’s Barbeque
716 Smithtown Bypass (Route 347)
Smithtown, NY 11787
Phone: 631.360.6490
www.famousdaves.com

Post Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:46 pm
Brooksy rare
rare

I just heard that Paul Kirk opened a place called R.U.B. in Manhattan on 23rd st btw 7th and 8th ave. I've used a lot of his recipes, so I'm excited to tase the real thing. He'll be at the Big Apple BBQ Block party in Madison Square Park, which I am going to tomorrow (Sun). Can't waite!!!

Post Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:59 pm
chagan well done
well done

Famous Dave's is actually a chain of restaurants, there is one not far from me. I haven't been there myself, but a chain is a chain. They might have some decent grub, but it is still a cookie punch operation- no offense to Famous Dave’s. They did begin in the south, so they must create some acceptable fair if they have been successful. Exceptional, however, I don't know.

Post Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:45 am
medium-well

Hey Chagan, I am here and am still waitin for some grub tips!

Post Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:21 am
chagan well done
well done

I didn't forget, just been very busy :x . Start reading these (they tell you how far from Medford each place is too) and I'll get some personal recommendations later today.

For formal dinning:

http://www.digitalcity.com/longisland/bestitalian/

For a quick slice or more casual sit down (my preferred setting):

http://www.aolcityguide.com/longisland/ ... estaurants

I, personally, would get a slice here first for lunch (maybe that day or the day before), take a look at the restaurant side, and then decide if dinner was on:

http://www.aolcityguide.com/longisland/ ... =107116467

Be sure to check out the official sites for these, the'll have menus and such as well.

Post Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:56 pm
medium-well

Chagan, thanks buddy! I tried that Rubys and it was everything you would expect from a long island BBQ joint. :cry: But I have had some good italian food. Thanks again for the links, I will use them!

Post Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:20 pm
Reidmid rare
rare

Okay, this isn't barbeque, but....

I had amazing grilled octopus in an itialian restaurant on the isle of long. GREAT. Everything esle was wonderful too.

If your interested the joint is off the LIE (495) in Hauppauge. The exit is for Islip RD (Rte 111 - I think.). And the restaurant is on the sout side of the road in a strip mall at the intersection. Just behind the small strip mall is a Holiday Inn Express. A gas station is in front of the mall.

Good Luck.

I was out that way for a couple of weeks and fount no good Q, but lots of good food. Don't get conned into a steak, they don't do that well.

Post Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:28 am
chagan well done
well done

Reidmid wrote:
Don't get conned into a steak, they don't do that well.

Try Luger's or Rothmann's for a quality steak. Luger's has long been regarded as the best steak with the worst service, (read the reviews) so keep that in mind :wink:

http://www.digitalcity.com/longisland/b ... estaurants

Post Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:47 pm
Fired rare
rare

If you ever come to Long Island again you should try Poppa Rick's Texas BBQ.
It is on Jericho Turnpike on the border of Nassau and Suffolk counties. It is not a restaurant, it is more like a BBQ stand. His cornbread is suppose to be amazing.

Post Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:32 pm
Sledneck well done
well done

That poppa ricks place is a rip off they charge $ 3 a rib and $8 for a pulled pork or brisket sandwich, the sauce tastes like kc masterpiece

The best place out on the Island is : http://www.smokinals.com
I would like to try that rubs place soon other than that everything else sucks
Steve

Post Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:07 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

chagan wrote:
Famous Dave's is actually a chain of restaurants, there is one not far from me. I haven't been there myself, but a chain is a chain. They might have some decent grub, but it is still a cookie punch operation- no offense to Famous Dave’s. They did begin in the south, so they must create some acceptable fair if they have been successful.
Minor correction...Famous Dave's first restaurant was (and still is) in Hayward, Wisconsin. It's OK food...I've had better and I've had worse.
http://www.famousdaves.com/legend.cfm
Brad

Post Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:24 pm

I don't see how anyone can compare any of the bbq on LI with Poppa Rick's on Jericho Tpke in Woodbury. They by far have the best I have tasted. They are the only ones that do it right. And unfortunately when you want the best that is cooked for 15 + hours you have to pay for it. Over the last couple of years their consistency has gotten so much better. But smokin Al's charges more and he cooks his ribs, by boiling, baking and smokin. Well anyway. I've had BBQ all over and Poppa Rick's is up there with the best of them.

Next

Return to Best BBQ Joint