Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Grilled Bread

Grilled Bread

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:51 am
Vinsect well done
well done

Airfoils, thanks for refreshing my memory. I'm looking forward to trying bread baked on the grill.
Have you ever worked any soups into the grill? I'll share more on this later, but one of my better grill experiments was making spaggetti sauce on the grill.
And since you like grilled bread and soup, do you ever grill your own soup-bread-bowls?
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Post Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:42 am
Airfoils well done
well done

GS, a great number of my scratch recipes come from 'Better Homes and Gardens Bread Machine Cookbook' and off of the net. The aforementiond book works great with my bread machine as I use it to make the dough. The book is well made and lies flat; I recommend it. I know a lot of people say doing dough by hand is the way to go but my bread machine does an awful great job at making dough and usually when I'm making bread other things go with it and I need the time for that. Additionally, the machine provides a perfect environment for the bread to rise. I typically bake on a 14" cast iron pizza pan using indirect method and my results are mixed but I'm becoming more successfull with every attempt. Bread isn't easy (at least for me) on the grill. I did a lot in my oven before I did anything on the grill and am much better at it in the oven so far but I'm learning. I plan on buying one of the stones from the Kamado site this spring and working with that.

V- About the only 'soups' I do on the grill are beans, chili and Brunswick stew. Most all others I do on the stove top and yes, I concur, bread soup bowls rock. Heres one for my bread machine, again a Better Homes and Gadens recipe:

http://ww4.bhg.com/bhg/recipe/print/pri ... dCategory=

Post Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:44 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Bread Soup Bowls!?!

The more I learn, the dumber I feel. This is new to me. These bowls really hold soup? How long? I've dipped bread and sandwiches into soup before and I know the soup soaks through rapidly. Does the inner layer of cheese act as the "real" bowl? Or are there only certain types of soup that this bowl can handle? Wow this boggles the old noodle! :wink:

Post Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:55 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Also try Bernard Clayton’s Complete book of breads. His approach to bread reminds me of Steve’s approach to barbecue. It’s an excellent reading and recipe book also.
Here is the link at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... ce&s=books

Bob,
Soup served in a bread bowl is the best way to eat soup. I use to live near Monterey Calif. and they always served the clam chowder in S.F. sour dough bread bowl. It’s out of this world. All they do is hollow a round loaf and fill it with soup. The bread is dense and crusty, so it holds to the last drop.

Post Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:33 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

Yeah sour dough is great, maybe the best but I'd rather buy it from a bakery since it's such a pain to maintain a bowl of it in the fridge and feeding it all the time. I just dont have the extra space or patience for sour dough. Any idea if the recipes in that book are bread machine friendly?

Post Mon Feb 16, 2004 7:44 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Actually, he gives 2 sets of instructions for each recipe, one for food processor and one for electrical mixer. I don’t see why you couldn’t use the electrical mixer version for the bread machine. After all bread machines do mix and knead as electrical mixers do.

Post Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:50 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

Bob,
Bread soup bowls are pretty common here. They make for a nice meal. BBcue-Z mentioned clam chowder. I've seen the bread bowl filled with chili, and leaking through is not a problem. I'm not as advanced as some of the others at making bread, and grilling it, There are a lot of ideas on this board that are very interesting, and this is one of them.

Pete

Post Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:06 am
Vinsect well done
well done

You usually see bread bowls with thick soups like beer-cheese soup or chilli. If your into breads and soups you'll have to try it. Its the same concept as the tortilla bowls in taco salads. You can eat the bowl too. The best past is where the soup soaks into the bread at the bottom.
Make a round loaf and carve out the top and upper center so its bowl shaped and fill it up.
Then rebuild it better.

Post Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:07 am
hickory pete well done
well done

Vinsect..You mentioned beer cheese soup. That reminded me of many years ago, I made several business trips and passed through an airport in Wisconsin, and never got on the plane without having beer cheese soup. I think the airport was called Midway, and I chose it over going through O Hare International because of the soup (and there were less delays). I haven't had it since...totally forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder.

Pete

Post Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:29 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

BBcue-Z wrote:
Actually, he gives 2 sets of instructions for each recipe, one for food processor and one for electrical mixer. I don’t see why you couldn’t use the electrical mixer version for the bread machine. After all bread machines do mix and knead as electrical mixers do.

Ok thats good. Thanks for the info. I can work something from that but I have to disagree with your assertion that mixers and bread machines mix and knead the same. IMHO bread machines blow the doors off any other appliance at making dough. Boy is that book expensive though. You guys are going to drive me to the poor house with all these ideas to buy! :shock: One thing I haven't done yet but would like to perfect this summer is my own sesame hamburger buns and pot pies. I just got a bunch of these cool cast iron 1/2 pint serving bowls from Lodge that I'm seasoning and want to make my pot pies in those. They are great for Brunswick stew and beans as well.

https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefront/ ... oduct=2810

I do french bread most often to use in grilled garlic bread.

Post Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:12 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Airfoils,
I didn’t say electric mixers and bread machines were the same. I just meant they perform a similar function. I’m sure you get better results with your bread machine, after all, that’s its primary function. I personally use Kitchen Aid and I’m very happy with it (due to it’s multiple options).
I do like those cast iron pots, let use know how the potpies turn out.
Thanks.

Post Tue Feb 17, 2004 6:43 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

BBcue-Z wrote:
Airfoils,
I didn’t say electric mixers and bread machines were the same. I just meant they perform a similar function. I’m sure you get better results with your bread machine, after all, that’s its primary function. I personally use Kitchen Aid and I’m very happy with it (due to it’s multiple options).

Fair enough, your post was misleading to me. I have a KitchenAid too but much prefer the bread machine for making any kind of dough.

Post Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:40 am
Vinsect well done
well done

If any of you guys are ever in Nashville, check out a bar downtown called The Flying Saucer. They have Beer-cheese soup served in bread bowls. Also they have beers from all over the world. I recomend the Belgium beers.
There are flying Saucers in other cities too. I've only been to the ones in Nashville and Memphis though.
Then rebuild it better.

Post Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:10 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Vinsect,
The Atlanta Bread Company in Georgia also serves soups in bread bowls. But there are not as good as the Flying Saucer.

Post Fri Feb 20, 2004 3:25 am
Vinsect well done
well done

There's an Atlanta Bread Company location not too far from me. I'll make a point to try it next time I'm in that neck of the woods.
Which Flying Saucer have you been to BBQ-Z?
Then rebuild it better.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion