Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Cooking in the cold

Cooking in the cold

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:02 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

To my surprise, I actually can see a small patch of lawn around my house. There's still piles of snow everywhere, but with temps suppose to be in the mid 40's Thurs/Fri, I see grilling in my future again. :D

Pete

Post Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:33 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Just to help you get on your way sooner than later...

Last night I did a pork loin, smoked with applewood and finished with Steve's Irish Whisky Glaze. It was awesome.

I also made my first attempt at smoked cheese...Good but still has vast room for improvement.

I'm already ramping up for spring!

Post Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:36 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Hey Pete, believe it or not, we got 5 inches of snow on Valentine's Day. The news reporters were saying that we haven't seen that much snow since 1985. The roads were clear by noon and the next day only a few snowmen survived. We took some photos while we could.

Post Mon Feb 16, 2004 7:28 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

Aw Bob, I am sooooooo sorry. Yet I am envious of Grand Scale. I fired up the grill on the Viking last night. Does that count here?

Post Mon Feb 16, 2004 7:42 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

It counts partial credit if you logged it and took documentary photos. :D

Post Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:38 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

Ok, partial credit. I grilled some turkey "loins" and finished them by braising in a tomato basil sauce. I do log everything I cook, but, alas, no photos. Besides, it wasn't very cold in the kitchen. :lol:

Post Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:26 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

Grand Scale..Nice job ramping up for spring. That sounded like a perfect meal.

Bob...5 inches of snow on Valentines Day, I'm glad you were able to make it through the snow storm. :shock:

Pete

Post Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:39 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

Roff...Way to go..I think you should get credit for firing up the grill. It's not too easy to leave the warm kitchen behind on those miserable days.

Pete

Post Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:38 am
ThrRoff well done
well done

Pete, I don't think I deserve the cudos.......My Viking range, in my nice warn kitchen, has a grill. Its not the same as outdoors, but. I guess I should only claim quarter credit.

Post Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:25 am
Airfoils well done
well done

Cooked in the snow today! :D Not cause it was snowing though but cause I was hungry for something 8)

Post Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:11 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I kind of feel like I started a thread here thats turned into Grillers Anonymous.

Heck my name is Grand Scale, and I'm a cold weather griller. It's been 12 hours since my last grilling...

I'm proud of you all!

Post Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:32 am
hickory pete well done
well done

It won't be too long before we'll have to start a thread called " How to prevent sunburn and keep cool while coking in extreme heat". Believe me...I'm looking forward to warm weather.

Pete

Post Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:51 am
Vinsect well done
well done

I've grilled in the cold,, the rain, the snow, & the heat. It just makes the weather more bearable. Its also nice not having mosquitos when its cold. I've grilled at 3 and 4 AM (other hours too) I haven't grilled in a tornado. You have to draw the line somewhere.
Besides, if its really cold stand closer to the grill and get some use out of that sideburner by heating up some sake'.
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Post Sat Feb 21, 2004 11:02 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

I had the presence of mind tonight to grab the camera while the steaks were on the grill. Here are a couple of NY Strips grilling. For Grand Scale, please notice the snow banks in the picture. And, the gas heater my wife got me for a gift, well it didn’t warm up a single thing.
http://roffee.org/grill/grillfeb1s.JPG

http://roffee.org/grill/grillfeb2s.JPG

http://roffee.org/grill/grillfeb3s.JPG
[/url]

Post Sun Feb 22, 2004 9:47 am
hickory pete well done
well done

Roff, Great pictures. They make me want to get outside and fire up the grill.

Pete

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion