Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Panini on the Grill

Panini on the Grill

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Feb 12, 2004 7:38 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Has anyone tried Panini on the grill?
I found the grill is better than any sandwich press machine. All you need is a cast iron griddle or a skillet. If your grill has 2 half grates, you can also use on of them as a press.
Here is my favorite Panini:
1 Large Loaf of round Italian bread
I Varity pack of Italian cold cuts (salami, pepperoni, proseiutto,...etc.)
3 slices of provolone cheese
4 Slices Mozzarella cheese-fresh
1 roasted red pepper
3 tbs olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
Fresh basil- several leaves
Pesto sauce or Steve’s Three-herb Chimichurri sauce

Cut a circle (in a size of a pancake) of the top of the bread. Hollow out the bread. Drizzle the olive oil all over the bread. Arrange the meat, roasted peppers, cheeses and the basil inside the bread and top off with the pesto sauce (as much as you like). Be careful not to over stuff the bread, you don’t want the stuff to spill out and cause a terrible mess.
Replace the bread cap on ant press to seal well.
Heat the grill to medium/ medium high, if you’re using a cast iron griddle or skillet; place them on the grill to heat up as well. You may need two foil wrapped bricks if your griddle or skillet isn’t heavy enough. Brush the outside of the bread with olive oil and place on the grill, then place the cast iron griddle on top of the bread and weigh it down with bricks. Grill until the bread is brown and crusty and the cheeses have melted. Let the sandwich rest for few minutes, and then divide into several triangle wedges.
Sometimes, I put pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese and some topping inside the bread and follow the same process. Of course, the filling is only limited to ones imaginations and taste.
Enjoy!

Post Thu Feb 12, 2004 9:37 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Z - that really sounds like a tasty samich! I'll have to try it and soon! I've become a big fan of bread products on the grill. Anything from garlic bread, to pizza is enhanced on the grill. (Steve has recipes for both BTW). I've even gotten in the habit of throwing hamburger and hot dog buns on the grill before serving them. Good Stuff.

Post Fri Feb 13, 2004 11:44 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Man, I need pictures...drool...you got pictures? That sounds good!

Post Fri Feb 13, 2004 2:13 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Sorry Bob,
I don’t have any pictures right now, but next time I make the sandwich, I will definitely take some pix and post them.
Thanks.

Post Fri Feb 13, 2004 2:28 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Oh Z, you're killin' me :lol:

Post Tue Feb 17, 2004 6:39 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

I made one today except I used a cast iron skillet to cook on and placed the foil wrapped brick on top of the sandwich all of which on my grill while snowing. :wink: I also ommitted the provolgne and went strictly with mozzarella and used a small loaf of french bread I baked myself. I also lightly oiled the griddle with evoo and sprinkled spices (a dipping blend) on the surface. Yum!

Post Tue Feb 17, 2004 6:55 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Airfoils- Whats your "dipping blend"? The wife and I have been loving making out own right now and am always looking for ideas.
Right now we've got evoo (it took me a bit to figure that acronym out) with Fresh Basil, Fresh Thyme, Loads of Fresh Garlic Cloves, and what I call finger chiles. All in a Pesce Vino bottle. Looks good, tastes even better!

Post Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:50 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

Grand Scale wrote:
Airfoils- Whats your "dipping blend"? The wife and I have been loving making out own right now and am always looking for ideas.

I dunno what it was, I got this rotisserie thing with 4 different kinds in it for Christmas. This one says it has basil, oregano, pepper, tyhme, garlic and parsley in it. Is that a certain kind? I'm no expert on dipping spices but it sounds like you could point us in the right direction for making some fresh versions wich is something I usually enjoy at this Italian joint down the road. New thread?

Return to General Discussion