Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Grilled Bread

Grilled Bread

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Feb 12, 2004 9:43 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

If you're one of those Atkins dieters..STOP READING THIS POST NOW!

Don't say I didn't warn you.

Piggybacking off another post I thought that the topic of grilled bread deserved some more ideas. What are everyones favorite ways to mix bread and grill. I've followed and adapted Steve's recipes for pizza and garlic bread with fantastic results, and I look to try BBcue Z's pannini recipe soon. But what else is there? My gut (no pun intended) tells me if the equation is bread meets olive oil meets flame it will be good, but what does everyone else do?

And don't tell the Atkins guys, that would just be a cruel tease...

Post Thu Feb 12, 2004 11:13 am
Airfoils well done
well done

If you want to get into breads, how to grill it isn't much of an issue so much as the science (yes, science) of bread baking from scratch. I'm still learning but if you're serious about grilled bread, baking the bread yourself is the key. I finally succeeded in baking cornbread in my Weber once i figured out the vents. For myself, I've tried a number of ways to kneed bread inluding by hand and a KitchenAid and have found that my bread machine does the best job (I only use it to make the dough, not bake the bread). Of course, if you aren't after such consistency, by hand would be better.

Edit: Just a couple of hard fast rules that you'll find anywhere but thought I would share anyway. ALWAYS use EXACT measurements when baking bread. Also, always use the type of ingredients specified in the recipe, strongly resist the urge to substitute until you know what you're doing. Even a sublte deviation can mean the difference between success and failure. I'm at a point now where I'm experimenting a little bit but I would reccomend starting simple to understand the properties of bread first before getting elaborate. This way, you have a better understanding of what can and can't be gotten away with.

Post Thu Feb 12, 2004 2:32 pm
Steven Raichlen

Greetings from Phoenix!

As you all know, bread is one of my favorite food groups to grill.

Some new ideas--wrap cornbread batter in green corn husks or banana leaves and roast it in the embers or on the grate. That's how the Arawak Indians made cornbread--you can read more about it in BBQ USA.

Cook any sort of quesadilla on the grill. (You must use flour tortillas. Corn don't really brown up very well.

Wrap biscuit dough around a stick and grill it rotisserie style. This is a great camping classic.

And of course, any sort of buttered or oiled garlic bread tastes great toasted on the grill. Just be sparing with the fat.

Happy grilling!

Steven

Post Thu Feb 12, 2004 3:12 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Here is a family brunch favorite:

Breakfast Calzone:
Pizza dough any recipe (I prefer whole wheat)

Filling:
1 med. size onion chopped
4 large link of fresh Italian sausage (sweet or spicy)
3 med. size potatoes- diced into small cubes. You also use ready frozen hash brown mix
4-5 eggs
½ bell pepper-diced
1 small tomato- diced
Cheddar or mozzarella cheese-grated
Butter for cooking
Salt and pepper to taste
A dash of allspice

Heat a skillet or sauté pan and cook the onions, bell peppers in some butter until soft, add salt, pepper and allspice to taste. Remove the sausage casing and cut to little pieces, and then add them to the onion mixture. Brown the meat until it’s fully cooked.
In a separate sauté pan, add some butter and cook the potatoes until soft and tender. Add the potatoes to the sausage mixture and reheat the pan. Crack the eggs in a small bowl and whisk well until scrambled. Add some butter to the meat and potato mixture, and then fold the egg mixture over it. Cook until the eggs are somewhat solid (but not fully cooked). Add the deiced tomato after turning off the heat. Let the mixture cool.
Roll the pizza dough out and cut into circle (size based on preference). Fold the dough circles in half to establish midline (do not seal). Unfold the dough and fill one half of the dough circle with meat mixture and top with cheese, and then refold the other half of the circle and seal well. The dough should look like half a moon shape. Brush the dough with melted butter and set aside until all portions are done.
Heat the grill and oil the grates well. Place the Calzone on the grill and cook until the dough is brown on one side, and then turn over and grill the other side. Serve warm.
Enjoy!

Post Thu Feb 12, 2004 3:57 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

These are some really great ideas. Our Family is real big on the buttered or oiled garlic bread that Steven mentioned. I'll have to give some of the others mentioned in this thread a try. They all sound good.

Pete

Post Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:10 am
ThrRoff well done
well done

Grand Scale,

Our favorite is pretty simple, but you gotta like garlic. Slice a good loaf of French bread on the diagonal so you get some decent size pieces. You can coat with a little olive oil if you want, grill until its nice toast colored with some pretty grill marks. When it comes off the fire rub each piece with a clove of garlic. The toast kind of acts like sand paper and you definitely get a lot of fresh garlic. No vampires live in this house.

Post Fri Feb 13, 2004 9:09 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I should add to myoriginal post that what has become a favorite around out house is garlic bread by the following process.
Start with a portugese loaf (we like the softer custs so the don't get to hard/crispy on the grill) the dip both faces in good olive oil, often a bread dipper style that we make ourselves. Our current batch is Basil, rosemary, thyme, lots of garlic (no vampires here either) and hot peppers) The bread goes on the grill and after its flipped I add a blend of shredded romano and parmesan cheese, a little more roasted minced garlic, sweet paprika, and a little drained bruchetta. By the time the bottom crisps the cheese is soft and the brucheta is smoky. Wonderful!

Post Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:59 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

Sounds good Z. Have you tried grilling the veggies instead of sauteeting or do you think that wouldn't work as well? Maybe sautee them in a grill wok?

GS, I make a "soft" french bread I'll have to try that with. Steve has a number of pastes comprised of cheese and garlic in his various books that are almost all good. I wasn't crazy about one in BBQ USA but almost all of the others I have enjoyed.

Steve, my wife is a nut for the fajitas in How to Grill and I make them about once every other week and we always toast the tortillas on the grill. Thanks for that recipe. As for cornbread, I really enjoy mine baked in a cast iron skillet.

Post Fri Feb 13, 2004 2:22 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

I have grilled and sautéed the veggies on the grill before. I usually use a cast iron skillet directly on the grill to sauté. However, for the sake of simplifying the recipe, I did not include that step. The veggies do taste great when done on the grill though.

Post Fri Feb 13, 2004 4:28 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I have had good success with biscuits baked in a dutch oven both on a Weber and in the firebox of my offset smoker.

Also have baked nan (indian flat bread usually prepared in a tandoori or clay oven) using a 12" square unglazed quarry tile set on it's edge next to the coals in the Weber. It takes a little trial and error to get the timing down for that day's fire but it's kinda fun. And the dog loves the "mistakes"

Post Fri Feb 13, 2004 8:53 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

YardBurner,
I’ve done the same thing with Lavash bread, except I used my gas grill to better regulate the heat (the lazy way out). However, I don’t use those tiles anymore. Now I use clay bricks. I found them to be more sturdy and they hold the heat much better.

Post Fri Feb 13, 2004 8:53 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

YardBurner,
I’ve done the same thing with Lavash bread, except I used my gas grill to better regulate the heat (the lazy way out). However, I don’t use those tiles anymore. Now I use clay bricks. I found them to be more sturdy and they hold the heat much better.

Post Sat Feb 14, 2004 1:43 am
Vinsect well done
well done

I can't remember exactly which post this was from to quote, but someone gave a tip that a good way to find out how different wood's smoke taste -toast bread on the grill.
I'm guessing that baking bread on the grill would be an even better guage.
Anyone tried baking the same bread over different woods for comparrisson?
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Post Sat Feb 14, 2004 1:49 am
Airfoils well done
well done

Vinsect wrote:
I can't remember exactly which post this was from to quote, but someone gave a tip that a good way to find out how different wood's smoke taste -toast bread on the grill.
I'm guessing that baking bread on the grill would be an even better guage.
Anyone tried baking the same bread over different woods for comparrisson?

Thanks for remembering, that was me and yes, bread gives you a great guage on how different woods truly taste provided your palette is accustomed to the baseline. Too often I think people think woods taste like their name or fruit and they often don't. Bread is my second passion along with soups and as far as baking on the grill I've only done cornbread, some flat breads, french bread variations and various dinner rolls but hey, what else do you need? :lol: j/k UNO MAS CERVEZA! :twisted:

Post Sat Feb 14, 2004 6:30 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Airfoils - I've gotten really into homemade bread dippers lately and would love a few of your grilled from scratch recipes if you'd be willing to share. We've been going through serious flatbread and grilling it would be fun!
Thanks

Next

Return to General Discussion