Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Rare or Well Done?

Rare or Well Done?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Feb 11, 2004 4:52 pm
chagan well done
well done

I have seen many posts about people who insist on having their meat cooked to well done and beyond or they won't have it. I have noticed that most of these people are women. Is this just my misconception? Are there any testimonials out there from people who know of women who enjoy it rare; or is rare typically a "guy" thing?

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Wed Feb 11, 2004 5:52 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Had a neighbor a few years ago who wouldn't let me flip his burgers.
Four minutes on one side and onto the bun they went.

It was a guy.

Another won't eat her steak if it has any juices coming out of it at all.

Yep! It's a guuurl.

Takes all kinds.

Post Wed Feb 11, 2004 6:33 pm
Info@Workman Site Admin
Site Admin

I think it's a taste thing. If you like your food charred beyond recognition, I tend to think you have hypersensitive taste buds (supertasters, they're called). For instance, I do not buy sashimi grade tuna for these guests, but rather serve them tuna from a can.

And I like my steak still mooing, for the record . . . and I'm a girl.

Info

Post Wed Feb 11, 2004 6:34 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Sorry, no offense intended.

I'm a goat.

Post Wed Feb 11, 2004 6:39 pm
Info@Workman Site Admin
Site Admin

None taken. My thoughts on steak are informed by a restaurant I once worked in. If people complained their steak wasn't cooked through enough, they microwaved it and sent it back to the table! That will certainly finish the job.

Info

Post Wed Feb 11, 2004 7:08 pm
MReynolds well done
well done

I'm a guy and I take mine from medium rare to medium. I like the pink middle and the juices flowing across my plate. My wife on the other hand, has to have hers well done. Completely brown through and through. Prime rib is something I only have when dining out at a restaurant. You simply cannot convice that woman that some pink is okay. (even a good thing) She goes so far as to wash every single piece of meat we cook, by hand. (the exception being ground beef) :D
ImageImage
PETA - People Eat Tasty Animals

Post Wed Feb 11, 2004 8:00 pm
spfranz well done
well done

I'm more of a medium guy and my wife likes them medium well. Actually, she likes them with just a touch of pink which is usually very hard to get in a restaurant. It never ceases to amaze me that a steak house can't cook a steak to someone's preference.

The 15 year old son is slowly making his way down the doneness (is that a word?) ladder one rung at a time. He's now down to medium and sometimes medium rare. My guess is that he'll be a rare kind of guy when he gets older.

19 year old daugher has the same taste as my wife. The feedback that I get is that they like the taste of well done but understand that a little pink means there's still some juice. A fine choice for their tastes.

Scott
I like vegetarians. Some of my favorite foods are vegetarians.

Post Wed Feb 11, 2004 9:08 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

If we're talking ribeye which is my fave, then medium to medium-well is best BECAUSE, its not until this point that the marbling begins to release its tasty juices properly and the edges have just the right amount of crispness. Undercook it much and you don't get the full benefit of the juices. Overcook it and obviously you're burning off the good stuff. Yes, there IS a perfect way to cook ribeye and medium to medium-well is the way. :D Other cuts obviously benefit from medium-rare but if I'm having a steak, ribeye is king.

Contemplating naming my next girl "Info" :lol: j/k

Post Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:32 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

Our house follows the example that Chagan pointed out. I prefer medium rare or medium. I like the food to be juicy and not dried out. My wife on the other hand, wants hers cooked well done, without any pink in the middle.

Pete

Post Thu Feb 12, 2004 12:18 am
ThrRoff well done
well done

Nicely enough, my wife likes her steak very rare. Come to think of it so does our daughter and so does my sister. Must be a family thing.

Post Thu Feb 12, 2004 1:02 am
Vinsect well done
well done

I like my beef medium-rare and more rare than medium. My wife is a convert.
Up until recently, my mother-in-law wouldn't even try meat with pink in it to see if she liked it. Therefore, my wife grew up on beef that was burnt and didn't even know it could be juicy and flavorful. Now my wife is trying to help convince her mother to go med-rare.
With my mother-in-law, its not even an objective comparrisson. It's just been a phobia of pink meat.
I haven't gotten either one of them to try sushi though. They're missing out.
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Post Thu Feb 12, 2004 1:53 am
MaxDog rare
rare

I run the gamit from rare to medium -- depends on the cut and quality. For the longest time my wife insisted on well done (there's an oxymoron if ever I heard one!). About two years ago we land at my brother's house and he's pulling steaks off the grill (pre-arranged via cell phone). At his house there's only one steak -- Strip -- and only one way to get it -- medium rare. Bride - o- mine takes one bite, thumps me and says "Why can't you cook steak like this?" I think this is the corrolary to the old adage "Wives will believe any man except their husbands."
How lovely it is to do nothing and then rest afterwards

Post Thu Feb 12, 2004 10:13 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Let me start out by sayin this...TO EACH HIS OWN!
If you're eating/paying for it get it the way you like it.

I once knew a guy who would order a steak well-done and then add "when you think it's well done, give it 5 more minutes a side" What the guy got was shoe leather, but boy did he enjoy shoe leather.

I also knew a guy who would douse everything in ketchup. Just the memory of that guy eating a beautiful filet medium rare covered in ketchup still makes me cringe. But hey, he liked it and that's what counts.

The exception to this is im my own house (and I have seen a similar expression on some menu's) "Please do not ask me/us to ruin our beautiful meal by asking for it well done." Anyone can overcook a steak, the art is cooking it right! I usually relent in an effort to keep my guests happy. Although there have been exceptions, I wouldn't let a guest put A-1 on prime rib, you wouldn't spray paint a ferrari would you?

Personally I prefer medium rare, for years I thought that was the only way that existed! My wife (I married a great woman) actually prefers her meat rare!

Fish though (especially tuna) I prefer medium well. I can hear our Gal Info cringing now!

Post Thu Feb 12, 2004 2:34 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

You guys are crazy! :roll: :lol: How can you live without the perfect carmelization you get with medium/medium well? It still has some pink in it if thats what you have to have and my steaks are quite juicy but has some nice crispiness too (the fat). In short, the best of all worlds. :wink:

Post Thu Feb 12, 2004 11:21 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I concur that if you're paying or cooking you should eat it the way you like it.

I have a brother-in-law that slightly browns his beef on the surface, be it burgers or steak, then flips it. The meat doesn't even warm on the inside. (Not my cup of tea)

I enjoy my beef cooked medium to medium-well and I always cook burgers to medium-well. The inside of the steak is hot & juicy while the outside has some caramelization & added flavor.

Maybe this is out of the norm for a "guy", but hey, I never claimed to be normal! :D

Next

Return to General Discussion