Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Bar BQ sauce smoked

Bar BQ sauce smoked

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Jul 18, 2003 5:32 pm

Has anyone made barbque sauce by smoking the tomato base in a shallow pan on the grill first? I was told by a local chef here that it is awesome if you just let the smoke "roll" for an hour our so, then use this as a base to your sauce. It would be a lot easier with liquid smoke, but this seems so much more home made.

Post Fri Jul 18, 2003 7:13 pm
Lisa_N rare
rare

Sounds yummy!! Wish I had time to try it.

Post Fri Jul 18, 2003 10:12 pm
Luke medium-rare
medium-rare

Once I get happy with my recipe for sauce I am going to try that.

Post Sat Jul 19, 2003 5:22 am
Craig medium-rare
medium-rare

I have made sauce that way before, and it turned out awesome. If you don't have time for that, liquid smoke will do a good job flavoring the sauce, as long as a quality brand, such as "Wright's", is used. I use about a capful to a quart of sauce. More or less to taste. This is not quite as good as the real thing, but it is not bad either.
Craig

Post Thu Aug 28, 2003 3:56 am
starpacker medium-rare
medium-rare

akangelfish wrote:
Has anyone made barbque sauce by smoking the tomato base in a shallow pan on the grill first? I was told by a local chef here that it is awesome if you just let the smoke "roll" for an hour our so, then use this as a base to your sauce. It would be a lot easier with liquid smoke, but this seems so much more home made.

Dear Angelfish,

I make Steve's Basic BBQ Sauce, but do not use liquid smoke, Instead, I make a batch in a medium-sized stainless bowl, and when I fire up the Santa Fe, I place the bowl in the far end from the fuel (mesquite lump and wood chunks,) and while the current meal cooks, the next batch of sauce is soaking up the mesquite smoke. An occasional stir, until the sauce is thick, rich, and dark, then let it cool before pouring into an empty ketchup bottle, then keep it in the fridge, Deeee-licious!

Return to General Discussion