Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Are rotisserries worth it?

Are rotisserries worth it?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:36 am
waterman raw
raw

I am looking into getting a cheap char broil "universial" rotisserie at HD for my weber genisis gold c. Do theses things make a big enough difference in food quality to spend the money. and if so are the cheap ones as good as webers expensive rotisserie. (no offence the weber).

Post Thu Feb 05, 2004 2:05 am
murfman rare
rare

Yes! It's an easy way to cook, and the meat will be juicy and tender, and nicely browned on the outside. I've rotis'd our Thanksgiving turkey for years now! Chicken is a snap, and fatty birds like duck are fabulous. A nice roast is almost set it and forget it.

There are baskets that you can fit on the skewer, that will hold small parts like chicken thighs to really get the fat out. I once spatchcocked a chicken, put it in a flat basket on the skewer - it was browned inside and out.

A rotis bastes the meat in its own juices and the excess fat drips out without flareups because its an indirect method. I have a rotis for both my charcol and gas grills. and use them all the time.

Get the Weber rotisserie for you genesis, a friend at work spent the extra bucks and he loves it!

Post Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:09 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

waterman as far as cheaper ones are concerned. Cheaper rotisseries are usually not capable of turning larger meats (i.e. two chickens at once, a turkey, whole pig, etc.) So when looking for a unit keep in mind what you’ll want to use it for. It’s pretty easy to burn up a motor or strip a gear on a cheap rotisserie.

Also in an earlier thread we found that most folks prefer four prong forks over the cheaper two pronged ones as they hold the meat better.

Hope this helps in your decision.

Post Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:28 am
Pierre rare
rare

Don't forget a counterweight that you should put on the spit rod. Saves your motor, assists in load balance.

Post Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:36 pm

drop the cash and get a good rotis motor. i burned out 2 before i got a good one and have had it for 6 years. i have abused it and it keeps on turning.
eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow we'll die

Return to General Discussion