Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Porcelain Coated Grill Racks

Porcelain Coated Grill Racks

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:02 pm
kip horn raw
raw

I moved at the end of last summer and the people that bought my house wanted my Ducane grill. :cry: So to make the sale go through I left it behind.

Now I'm looking for a new grill, to compliment my smokers. I'll probably pick up a Weber Kettle for weekend cooking but I need a gas grill for weekday cooking.

Most of the grilles that I've seen have porcelain coated grates. Does the porcelain hold up to regular cooking and cleaning? I'd love to find something with uncoated grates but haven't come across anything yet.

I looked through the topic on grilles that people own and most of these also had coated grates. Am I worrying about a something that will be a non-issue. I just thought that after regular cooking and cleaning, heating and cooling that the porcelain would eventually crack and peel off.

Thanks for the help.

Kip

Post Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:52 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

I would go with either Stainless Steel or Cast Iron (see the posts under Stainless Steel Gas Grills). I bought a Char Broil gas grill last year and it came with cast iron grates. I’m not sure what they come with now a days, but I’ve seen cast iron replacements grates for Char Broil at Home Depot for about $20.00.
Good Luck.

Post Sat Feb 07, 2004 4:29 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

kip horn, you may want to review the recent topic "Stainless Steel Gas Grills" as it also touches bases on the different materials that cooking grates are made from.

Post Sat Feb 07, 2004 10:15 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

If you go with porcelin don't clean them with a steel grill brush use only brass bristles.

And if you let it burn long enough after cooking you can almost wipe away the ash with a wet sponge.

Post Sun Feb 08, 2004 8:12 am
Craig medium-rare
medium-rare

Good call YB. I have porc. coated grates on my gas rig, and if I crank it up to 550-600, the stuff just whisks right off. As Grand Scale mentioned in another thread, ash wipes off easily.
Craig
PS How do you guys get the license plates on the board? I want to do that.

Post Sun Feb 08, 2004 11:34 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

This is the same concept as the cleaning cycle of new home ovens. You can also do the same thing with cast iron grates. I place my grates in the oven and turn it onto the self cleaning setting, and in few minutes I have clean grates and oven.

Post Sun Feb 08, 2004 1:22 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I even do the oven thing with grungy cast iron pots I come across at yard sales and thrift shops.

Sometimes it may take more than 1 cycle but they come out almost looking like new.

Just reseason and your ready to go.

To shorten the cleaning cycle start it right after using the oven to cook. A hot oven takes a lot less time. It reaches cleaning temp. and hold's it for a longer time.

Post Wed Feb 11, 2004 9:55 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Kip- I have a Weber Summit Gold D, I love it. It is all stainless and I'd put it up against my fathers far mor expensive Viking any day of the week. Check out the Weber line of stainless grills. You won't be disappointed. Go with a direct gas hookup if you can too.

Return to General Discussion