Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Cooking in the cold

Cooking in the cold

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:10 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Grand Scale, my hat's off to you! I love to grill year-round in all kinds of weather...but even I would have a tough time wrestling the grill at 14 degress. :wink:

I stepped out into the mid 40's Saturday and smoked my third brisket ever, a 18 pound ham, and a turkey breast. All turn out perfectly. I may have cooked the brisket a little long, it cooked for 10 hours and reached an internal temp of 200 degrees. It was moist, tender and the best home cooked brisket we've ever had.

People find it humorous when they see three smokers out back...but they stop laughing when they taste the food :lol:

Post Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:07 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

Grans Scale,

I am impressed. I thought about you this cold weekend, It was about 14 on the grilling patio here also, and I must admit I decided it was way too cold for me out there. :oops:

Post Tue Jan 13, 2004 10:11 am
hickory pete well done
well done

Grand Scale,

I sure have to give you credit for grilling in the extreme weather. It's very cold here, with the temps/wind chill expected to be around zero degrees tomorrow with a lot of wind. I like grilling, but it's indoors for me right now. :(

Pete

Post Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:24 pm
PaulP well done
well done

I have to agree with many here that even though I love to grill, it's too cold for mwe now. This is the time of year for gumbo, jambalya, pot roast, beef stew and other comfort foods cooked indoors. I'll start the grill up again in March.

PaulP
PaulP
If you don't like the food, have more wine

Post Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:59 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

It got down to a low of 52 degrees last night. So I was able to grill quite comfortably. I’ve grilled in extreme weather but I sure do prefer our milder climate. I’ve paid my dues. :wink:

Post Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:20 am
dkirn well done
well done

Bob-

You need to be careful grilling in that cold Texas temperatures!!

Post Sun Jan 18, 2004 3:04 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

As much as I hate to lessen anyone image of me I must admit that today I was defeated...
Rain...no problem
Snow...who cares
Wind...Ha
Cold...Whatever

Freezing rain...I give up. :cry:

Post Sun Jan 18, 2004 3:12 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

Grand Scale, I was going to asky you about today. It is kind of miserable out there. My wife just announced we are going to a movie. I'd say we have a half inch of ice on the patio, and its still coming down. Maybe tomorrow.

Post Sun Jan 18, 2004 7:30 pm
spfranz well done
well done

Living in Minnesota, I'm right there with the cold weather. Anything above zero isn't a problem, I'm out there. But when it gets down to 20 or 30 below, it's tough making the trip outside. Unless of course, it's been that way for a couple of weeks and the Q urge just takes control.

Scott
I like vegetarians. Some of my favorite foods are vegetarians.

Post Mon Jan 19, 2004 10:40 am
stripegrill medium
medium

Weather in Chicago is going to be a high of 18, around 5 tonight. I plan on firing up the Q as I marinated some nice skirt steaks last night. Wife says I'm nuts but I NEED some good char grilled steak! 8)

Post Sat Jan 24, 2004 3:59 pm

Here in Western Colorado we freeze (-20) :shock: but we grill. We shovel a path to the grill before the driveway. If we are out of propane, we use charcoal, which by the way is the only way to grill. AAAH Flavor!
How hot is too hot? The other day we saw a cast aluminum gas grill that had been discolored white (not painted) from the heat, bubbled and melted! Did they have to call the fire dept? Even grilling in Siberia wouldn't call for these temperatures. :roll:

Post Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:45 pm
phillyjazz well done
well done

Right outside of Philly, I have no problems GRILLING over charcoals (I just pick slightly thinner steaks, sear the CRAP out of each side, and run in the house, test it for 5 minutes and chow.

My big issue is I finally ran out of the the Carolina Pulled Pork I made in the fall (which actually freezes GREAT in a plastic tub right in the vinegar sauce), and heats up in a double boiler tasting ALMOST as good as you remember it fresh, but it's been so long you don't REALLY remember. Anyway, slap some of that stuff on a roll with some slaw and it FEELS like summer.

I've never smoked in dead winter... any tips ??? I've got no problem schlepping outside to change the wood. I'm concerned about keeping up 200 degrees ...

Post Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:13 am
spfranz well done
well done

phillyjazz wrote:
I've never smoked in dead winter... any tips ??? I've got no problem schlepping outside to change the wood. I'm concerned about keeping up 200 degrees ...

I think the only thing that will hold up well for smoking in sub-zero temperatures is ceramic. Even the best of the iron offsets will be affected by the cold but ceramic doesn't seem to be. I live in Minnesota and that was the driving point behind my upgrade to a Kamado.

Scott
I like vegetarians. Some of my favorite foods are vegetarians.

Post Sun Feb 08, 2004 1:25 pm
Rick rare
rare

Wll it is 32 degrees and foggy here this morning (Oregon). I just put on two briskets. We'll see what the cool damp weather does to the pits temp!

Aslo, started a fire in the pizza/bread oven last night. When I went to bed the temp was at 528 degrees. This morning was down to 379. I have the fire goin' again in it and will be running it up to a solid 450 for the bread, and then will run it up to 600 for the pizza tonight. The outside temp should not affect things in the oven house since it the structure that the oven was built into has six inches of sand sandwiched between 2 six inch slabs of concrete, underneath the oven, and 32 cubic ft. of vermiculite oon top of the oven. This tends to keep things very insulated once you have the temps up for 24 hours. Wish my pit would stay regulated so well!!!

Rick

Post Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:22 am
Airfoils well done
well done

I'd have to say freezing rain can do me in too. We get a lot of that here unfortunately; miserable stuff to be out in for anything. Other than that, it's got to be pretty cold w/ wind to keep me indoors and when that happens, I make soup or bread which are my other passions.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion