Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Has Anyone Tried Spatchcocked Chicken?

Has Anyone Tried Spatchcocked Chicken?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Mon Jan 26, 2004 6:36 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Unfortunately the grates on my grill are all fixed heights. Heat is adjusted by opening and closing the top and bottom vents. It has it's pros and cons but for the most part I like the design. Thanks for the suggestion as it may help others with similar trouble.

Post Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:47 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I am happy to report that the spatchcocked hens were a success. :) Or at least I think they were. :? The kids and I have colds and stuffy noses so they didn’t have much flavor to us. But the wife reports that they were extremely good. I can testify that the bird was as tender as any I’ve had! Same grill, same temps, same distance from the coals! More that ever, I believe we had a bad chicken. I even had some left over for lunch today. I’m sure the dog was unhappy to find his bowl lacking last evening!!! :wink:

Post Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:18 pm
phillyjazz well done
well done

I've been spatchcocking chickens for years, since I saw it in a Julia Child Book and adapted it to a gas grill. Hers uses brradcrumbs and Dijon mustard, so obviously this tend to be an indirect method.

I will either brine any chicken I cook for a t leat two hours (I tend to buy fryers) or just buy Kosher chickens (I get funny looks when I put them on the checkout along with my pork ribs.)
Kosher chix are already processed with salt and tend to be really delicious high-quality birds.

In any event, I always yank a bird a little early and let it rest to get "up to temperature". In my younger days I could never understand why perfectly juicy cuts of meat (or poultry) ended up so dry after carving. Old people have more patience. Resting works...

Previous

Return to General Discussion