Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Grand Saturday Feast

Grand Saturday Feast

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Feb 04, 2004 9:01 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Ok boys and girls I'm looking for advise for my first "Grand" outing of the year!

I think I know most of the answers and ways to go but please humor me, by helping me you may also answer others and bring up new ideas.

This Saturday my wifes family is coming over (7 people in total eating at 8:30 +/-), and I'm firing up the grill(s) to impress!
My plan is this:
A three +/- plound Brisket.
A Beercan Chicken
Smoked Sausage (cooking time?)
Ribs
With Pepper poppers as an appetizer and fries and cesar salad as sides.

A veritable festival of Cholesterol merriment!

At my disposal 650 square inches of Weber grilling power and my Masterbuilt 7-in-1.

My thoughts are this:
Fire the Brisket, ribs, and sausage on the webber. Obviously staggered for time. (suggestions?)
Do the poppers on the masterbuilt followed by the chicken.

Now I'm asking for any and all tips you kind folk care to share.

Thanks alot!!

Post Wed Feb 04, 2004 9:35 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

I have a suggestion about the sausage. I usually smoke fresh chorizo at 225 degrees for 2-3 hours (or until internal temp 180), and then I chop them into bite size and serve them as an appetizer. People go crazy for these spicy things and they think I invented them. If your guests like spicy food, you may want to give them a try. I’ve tried hot Italian sausage, but they did not turn out as good.
Good luck with your party.

Post Wed Feb 04, 2004 9:37 pm

Hey Grand, sounds like one kickin' grubfest!!! If it were me, I would use hickory chunks instead of chips to get a little more time from the wood. I'd put the brisket on 6 hours before the meal, so it will have a little time to sit (10-15min). Then the ribs would go on 1.5 hours later. Depending on the size of course. I use Steve's "pig pucker" as a baste base for everything, and have not been disapointed. Baste every 45-1 hour, keep the fire at about 240-250, and put the sausage on about the last hour. Should be room between something.
Now if you relly want to get creative, mix mesquite and hickory about 40-60, soak, and smoke. Great complex flavor, but, use discretion, not all people can hang with a little mesquite on the pork.
As far as the beer can chicken goes, I once poured the beer out, (yeah, sure I poured it out)
and put 6oz. of Beringer Chenin Blanc white wine with a tablespoon of the basic BBQ rub back in the empty, and it tasted great.
Hope the party is great,
Craig

Post Wed Feb 04, 2004 9:46 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Who WAS that masked guest?

Before I could finish pecking out my pearls of wisdom SOMEbody read my mind.

The only difference is I like to slowly steam the sausage and then grill it. The casing isn't as tough and I'm sure it's cooked through.

When do we eat?
Last edited by YardBurner on Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Wed Feb 04, 2004 9:59 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

I smoke my sausage in a water smoker on low temp. By the time they’re done, the casing is almost gone. When I cook them on the grill, I do steam them first.

Post Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:29 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

So Grand Scale........How do you get to your house. I am coming up for the feast. :lol:

Post Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:43 am
murfman rare
rare

How about dessert? it's always fun to tell your guests that you are going to 'que the dessert! Try the grilled pineapple from Steve's book - rings dredged in coconut milk and a sprinkle of cinnamon, right to the grill.

Here is one of my crowd pleasers - Ginger Peachy - if you can get some decent peaches this time of year -

Take whole peaches, one for each guest, cut it in half and pop out the stone.

Mix butter or margarine with brown sugar and ginger to taste, into a paste. Use enough to fill the pit, a generous table spoon or so where the stone was.

Leave the grill on low during dinner, and 10-15 minutes before you want to serve dessert, put the peach halves skin side down right on the grill.

When the peaches are soft and slightly translucent, serve them as is, or with a scoop of vannila ice cream. Enjoy!

Post Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:40 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Thanks guys. I love what I'm hearing so far.

Question: Is 6 hours enough/too much for a 3 +/- pound brisket? Also suggestions on rubs/mops.

Murfman - Thanks! I completely forgot about dessert! Pineapples it is! I've been wanting to try them for a while now. I've done the peach thing but I reduced the mixture (sans ginger) to a baste and I've added either rum or Grand Marnier. Both were outstanding. Looking forward to the pineaple!

Post Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:40 am
hickory pete well done
well done

I like the grilled hot italian sausage idea from BBcue-Z. That's a favorite at our house. Just a thought...how about roasted garlic, cut off the tops of the heads, drizzle extra virgin olive oil over the tops and cook indirect until tender. Serve the hole heads on the table, and guests remove the cloves to spread on bakery bread in place of butter.

Pete

Post Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:49 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Pete - Great idea!
Done!

This is getting fun!

Post Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:43 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Grand, I don't know where one that goes BIG would ever find a three pound 'snack' of a brisket. I've never dealt with one that small. Six hours may be a little long. Since I’m unsure of the times, I would cook it a little early, watch the meat thermometer, and when it’s done wrap it and hold the temperature in the oven or an insulated cooler. Everything sounds delicious!

Post Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:43 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I know Bob it is odd isn't it. But as it happens that was the brisket cut from the Christmas longhorn I told you all about. I can't figure it out myself, there was only one and that was it. A small 3 pound piece. I'm not a butcher and I didn't organize the purchase so I don't know. And with a freezer full of free meat I really can't complain about 1 cut.

AND

Sad news, due to an auto accident with one of my guests family the party is off.
This is the same thing that happend at Christmas if you all remember the holiday feast thread. I'm begining that anytime I plan on firing up my grill this poor guys family suffers a curse!

We'll deffinately be revisiting this dinner at a later date...stay tuned and thanks again for the help and advise.

Post Thu Feb 05, 2004 2:07 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Grand, sorry for the bad news again. I hope it's not too serious. :(

Nope! I wouldn't complain about the cut of free meat either! :)

Post Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:13 pm
chagan well done
well done

test

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:36 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

Grand Scale........Bummer, sorry to hear about the accident.

Next

Return to General Discussion