Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion first time making beer can chicken

first time making beer can chicken

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Tue Feb 03, 2004 4:17 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Back in college before I had a grill big enough and got into injectors I made a buffalo turkey in the oven. Simply made the turkey in te usual style, stuffing included, but instead of adding watter to create a grave I added my wing sauce. As the turkey cooked and thinned the mixture I'd siphon off the watered down juices and add more wing sauce via basting. It came out a beautiful orange and tasted great.

This thread reminded me of that crazy idea and great results. I need to revisit the buffalo turkey soon!

Post Tue Feb 03, 2004 11:45 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

Bones -- I would highly recommend Stevens book for beer can chicken recipes. Here is a link to my recipe. http://www.roffee.org/beercanchicken.htm

Post Wed Feb 04, 2004 3:24 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I think I saw it somewhere on this board.

When you do a beer can turkey try a Fosters "oil" can instead of a 12 oz.
More stable than a tall boy.

Post Wed Feb 04, 2004 3:58 pm
MReynolds well done
well done

You're absolutely correct YB, the Foster's is the way to go. :)
ImageImage
PETA - People Eat Tasty Animals

Post Wed Feb 04, 2004 4:26 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

In my best Yoda impression...
"Do or do not, there is no try!"

Bones - don't wait for more experience, give it a shot now, thats how you get experience!

You have a benefit I didn't, the guys on this board will answer any question you could possibly have. Jump in with both feet.

Thats how I got my name.

Post Thu Feb 05, 2004 4:00 pm
PaulP well done
well done

FWIW...I never use anything to plug the neck opening. I can see that using a lemon will add some flavor, but IME, "trapping the steam" is totally unnecessary. I also cannot notice any flavor difference when using various liquids. The strongest, perhaps only, determinate of the flavor of the bird is the rub.

Sorry Steve, but I have the "Beer Can Chicken" book and find I rarely use it. All of the recipes are the same except for the rub and sauce recipes. I have a few homemade sauces that we like, and a bunch of rub recipes, so the book doesn't help much. IMHO, if you can find it used and cheap on Amazon, buy it, otherwise put the money toward a more general grilling cookbook.

PaulP
PaulP
If you don't like the food, have more wine

Post Thu Feb 05, 2004 7:41 pm
spfranz well done
well done

PaulP wrote:
Sorry Steve, but I have the "Beer Can Chicken" book and find I rarely use it. All of the recipes are the same except for the rub and sauce recipes.

Which is exactly why I like this book. The sauces almost always use the liquid from the can and the rub always matches the sauce. Yeah, the technique is always the beer can chicken technique, but you'll definitely find many different flavors in there.

I guess I'm just curious, what exactly were you expecting from this book?

Scott
I like vegetarians. Some of my favorite foods are vegetarians.

Post Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:46 am
hickory pete well done
well done

For me the book also provides ideas. Some things I change, and some things are fine the way they are. It helps me to experiment. At one time I felt that salt, pepper, and garlic were all that was needed to flavor. Now I experiment with brown sugar, tobasco, various seasonings, etc. Just my opinion...but the books (all of them) are a necessary part of my grilling adventure.

Pete
Last edited by hickory pete on Sat Feb 07, 2004 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:33 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

PaulP,

If you're not benefiting from the "Beer Can Chicken" book there is something constructive you can do with it. Steven's motto is "Share the obsession"! Just pass it along to someone that loves to barbecue and get them hooked as well. Then point them to our discussion forum. They'll thank you for it! :D

Post Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:34 am
Vinsect well done
well done

ThRoff, your website says...

This is a "classic old fashioned" BBQ recipe for chicken. In my opinion, it is the second best way to cook a whole chicken.

What do you consider the best?
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Post Sat Mar 27, 2004 3:35 am
Vinsect well done
well done

Last night I made my first beer can chicken. Also did a coke can chicken. They were every bit as good as described. As different as coke tastes and looks from beer, they weren't as different as I thought they would be. I'm still not sure which I like better.
Let me rephrase that. I'm not sure which one made a better chicken.
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Post Sat Mar 27, 2004 10:20 pm
Zeke rare
rare

I've done a bunch of Beer Can Chickens in the past, and am able to crank out a good one everytime. I recently bought a six pack of Newcastle Brown Ale in cans...so far this is my favorite beer for cooking a beer can chicken.

I'm interested to hear other people's favorite beers....
"Life is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind - it doesn't matter"

Post Sat Mar 27, 2004 10:44 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Not a favorite beer version but, I did one two weeks ago with a grocery store (generic) pineapple soda as the suppository. I was surprised how much flavor was tranferred having done a lot of cola and Dr. Pepper versions Without much flavor kick.

Best thing was the soda was a quarter a can. Gonna try a lime version next weekend. Maybe add a little tequila and some lime zest to the spice rub to make a paste for under the skin and add some to the can juice.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion