Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion 3-2-1 Pork Spare Ribs

3-2-1 Pork Spare Ribs

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Jun 17, 2005 5:38 pm
harry_canyon well done
well done

Hmm... I've never tried "foiling" them before. I'll have to give it a try next time.

Thanks for the tip!

Derek

Post Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:14 pm
Strike BBQ medium
medium

I find that foiling ribs during the cook makes them too pot roasty and takes away from the bite.
I have better luck wrapping them when they are done and putting them in a paper bag for 30 minutes. They hold the bite and crust, and are vrey tender.

Post Sun Jun 19, 2005 12:26 am
bbquy well done
well done

This sounds like a great idea ! I'm going to try this. Thanks for advice.
currently: Jenn-Air 48,000 btu gasser, CG-Outlaw w/sfb, (3)Weber 22" Performer Gold, Weber Q

Post Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:59 am
Leatherneck well done
well done

I foiled them once, and they weren't as tender as I expected, I think my temp was a little to high though. I had it around 250. (couldn't get it any lower)

Post Sun Jun 19, 2005 3:15 pm

Try propping the lid up a littlie, this should let you get to a little bit of a lower temp. The higher you prop it the cooler it'll get.

Post Sun Jun 19, 2005 3:20 pm
Leatherneck well done
well done

:| I can't belive I didn't think about that before. :?

Post Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:22 pm
SoEzzy raw
raw

You can also use the foil time to try other flavors, I do it with apple juice, honey and 2 teaspoons of maple syrup. I have also used pineapple, pineapple juice and molasses. There are lots of flavors and juices you can play with in the foil time.

Side note an the pineapple idea, if you try this don't go for the full 2 hours as the pineapple seems to eat the protens in the meat, I do 180 (3) 45 -60 (3/4 - 1) 60 (1) to stop it mushing too much.

Post Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:59 am
Delaware Smoker well done
well done

Bob ,where do you get the jelly that you use on your ribs/? did a search,all I could find was sold by the gallon.
Bill
Delaware Smoker
CG w/sfb
Royal Oak Grill

Post Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:05 am
HoosierTrooper medium-well
medium-well

Delaware Smoker wrote:
Bob ,where do you get the jelly that you use on your ribs/? did a search,all I could find was sold by the gallon.
Bill

You can order it here: www.texaspepperjelly.com. They have a ton of selections and you can buy small jars to sample. I love all their flavors.
If there's no such thing as a stupid question, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask?

Post Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:00 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Gallon! 8)

Post Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:54 pm
mzungu70 well done
well done

Hi,

I think ribs were created in heaven they are so divine. Great piccies again, they always make me want to cook ribs.

Sad thing is I can not do them on my grill as I only have a small portable weber grill as not a lot of space in my flat.

I have comitted the ultimate sin once in a while, I have cooked ribs in my oven with some chips soaked in water for a while and leave them on the bottom of the oven to give that smokey feeling. It kinda works but never as good as the real deal. I cook them wrapped in foil for about 2 hrs and then uncover them for the last hour marinating them with some sauce or something. As I said they turn out pretty good, but am waiting for the day when I can do some ribs properly...... One day ......

Dave
I Bar-B-Q to live and live to Bar-B-Q

Post Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:47 pm
MarkInStLou medium-rare
medium-rare

Ive done them every different way. At the end of the day, using my Weber Kettle 22.5, I put hot coals on one side away from vents, 1 or 2 racks of loin backs (the best imo) on non-coal side, cover for 45 min. then spritz with apple juice and cider vinegar, cover another 45 mins and their done perfect. Smkoe ring and all. Any more time is just a waste. I keep the coals pretty hot versus the low method which is how time is cut out. I have found no evidence that a slower cook on ribs is any better.

Post Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:07 pm
bearbonz well done
well done

At home I never foil my ribs. For competition ribs, I trim them down to st. louis style. One because they look better to the judges. And two, the cooks need some rib tips for snacking. I use a very liberal amount of rub, and water my rub down with quite a bit more sugar than I use at home. The reason being for this, is I have found out that the judges out west, want candied meat rather than what I would consider good barbecue.
These I do foil after 2 hours, than take out of the foil to firm up for the last hour.

Gator BYCC
GOSM

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion