Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion first time making beer can chicken

first time making beer can chicken

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Fri Jan 30, 2004 9:07 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

No problem doing that but try it straight up the first time with a simple rub to understand your baseline and go from there. :wink: You'll be surprised at how little help beer can chicken needs.

Post Fri Jan 30, 2004 9:25 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

I just injected 2 chickens with a mixture of hot wing sauce plus extra version olive oil and garlic water. I’m going to grill them for my super ball party “beer can” style. Instead of serving hot wings, I figured I’d try this method. I still applied the rub on and under the skin. I’ll let you know how they turn out.

Post Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:39 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I've come up with a "tweak" on the "wing thing". Sam's and Costco as well as several supermarkets in our area are carrying boneless chix thighs. I treat 'em just like wings.

They take a little longer to cook but you get alot more meat for your trouble. Usually I start off doing a couple of smaller batches of wings, either grilled or fried, and while they are bein' gnawed I do the thighs. It's amazing how many people who claim to dislike dark meat will go nuts over the thighs!

These things are fantastic with jerk seasoning! They 're almost impossible to overcook.

Post Sat Jan 31, 2004 3:13 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

smokey-bones I am doing four coke can chickens this afternoon. As a matter of fact I am just about to start the smoker. I haven't tried injecting any can chickens yet but I may try it as a change. Normally I brine the chicken over night prior to smoking. But as Airfoils mentioned using the can method doesn't really require much help keeping the chicken moist and tender. Injecting and brining will add some flavor but you still get plenty of flavor from the smoke and rub.

BBcue-Z, I'm waiting for a detailed report! That sounds good.

Post Sun Feb 01, 2004 7:29 am
Craig medium-rare
medium-rare

Injecting with wing sauce does sound good! Can't wait to hear how that turned out.
I have injected a BC Chicken with a sauce that was 3 Tbspn rajin' cajun rub, 2 Tbspn olive oil, and 2 Tblspn Lea&Perrins suace for poultry. Turned out okay. The first time though, I'm with the guys, try it straight up, you won,t be disapointed.
Craig

Post Sun Feb 01, 2004 11:01 pm
Rick rare
rare

Bones--have you purhcased Steven's book "beer can chicken"?

Post Mon Feb 02, 2004 8:31 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Here is my report on the BC chicken with the wing sauce:
My guests absolutely loved them. The wing sauce flavor was all the way to the bone. It was like eating huge chicken wings, and the meat was moist and juicy.
I also pluged the neck cavity with half a lemon. This served 2 purposes: 1- it trapped the steam from the beer can inside the chicken, 2- when the lemon got hot; the juices ran inside the chicken and flavored it even more.
Give it a try you’ll love it.
Last edited by BBcue-Z on Mon Feb 02, 2004 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Mon Feb 02, 2004 8:57 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

STOP IT!!! (drool, drool) NOW I'VE GOTTA WIPE OFF MY KEYBOARD!!

If this gets all sticky should I use Pam next time? (and no, that's not a straight line!)

Post Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:11 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

BBcue-Z..That's a great idea, injecting the chicken with wing sauce. I'll have to give it a try next time.

Pete

Post Tue Feb 03, 2004 10:22 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

smokey-bones I've used Coke, 7Up, Twist-up, Sprite, Pepsi, & Dr. Pepper and they are all great. I can't tell much flavor difference between the soda varieties as they all sweeten the meat. Just pick your favorite and you'll love it.

This Sunday I did the four birds on twist-up and took them to the in-laws for Sunday dinner and feed nearly twenty folks. I used the general purpose rub on two and the cajun rub on two. Everyone bragged and complemented on how good it was.

BBcue-Z we're wing saucing the next chickens and I really like your lemon tip!

Post Tue Feb 03, 2004 11:13 am

That Lemon tip sounds good! I normally use an onion to plug up the neck. That does a good job at preventing the steam from escaping the chicken and also, when the chicken is done, you have a perfectly beer steamed onion! Yummy!!!!
"I'm just another, Beer Drinking, Good Time Having, Regular Guy" - Quote from my apron

Post Tue Feb 03, 2004 3:52 pm
Rick rare
rare

Bones--grab yourself a can of anything, drink half of it, rub the chicken down, I like to use my Weber kettle on this one, set it up for indirect cooking, about 20 briquettes per side, put a drip pan underneath the cooking area 'cause it is messy, stick the bird on the can and put it in the middle of the grill after it has warmed up, I set the kettle wide open, and 1 hour and 15 minutes later you will have a bird that has a crispy outside and a juicy inside. You can't miss, just do it.

Waht I have found with my grilling BBQing, smoking experiences is that I just have to try it. I might get lucky on the first one, and I might have to try a few things to get the technique down. But, here is a simple thing to get right, beer can chicken!!!!!

Good Eatin'

Rick

Next

Return to General Discussion