Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Smoker recommendations ?

Smoker recommendations ?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat Jan 31, 2004 12:04 am

I have been an amateur BBQer for a few years and after hearing Howard Stern rave about Steve I ordered the How to Grill book and I love it. I now want to learn how to start smoking. I like the idea of the horizontal models with the side fire box. Can any of you pros make any recommendations on what would be a good quality STARTER model and what the costs might be and where I would be able to pick one up i.e. Home Depot, Internet etc... I was looking at the Brinkmann 805-2101-S Pitmaster Deluxe Smoke 'N Pit any ideas on this model? I am totally in the dark here.....thanks for the help!

SM

Post Sat Jan 31, 2004 1:32 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Wal-Mart has a nice Char-broil horizontal smoker for under $80. Click on this link to check it out: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product_ ... 89%3A49943
Also see all the posts under New Smokerfor more recommendations.
If you need a good book on smoking, check out Smoke and Spice. It’s an excellent book-highly rated.
Good luck.

Post Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:54 am
dkirn well done
well done

Spacemountain -

Welcome to the BBQ Board! you will find some great ideas from the many members and we look forward to getting some ideas from you as well.

As far as a "starter" smoker, I started with a Chargriller Pro (www.chargriller.com) that I bought from Lowes for $99 and then added the side firebox (ordered direct from the website). This is a great starter smoker - it has the offset firebox with decent vent control and has cast iron grill grates. The quality of the product is above average for a $100 smoker, however if you get hooked you will want something bigger and better!

Post Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:14 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

Spacemountain...Welcome to the Board. Hope that you are able to find answers to your questions here. There are a lot of people here willing to share information that is very helpful. As far as the "How To Grill" book..I think that is one of the best books. If you are like so many of us here, it won't be long before you will be looking to expand your library with some of Steven's other books. Hope that you share some of your experiences with us, and ask if you need information. Good luck..

Pete

Post Mon Feb 02, 2004 1:12 am
Rick rare
rare

Spacemountain--Welcome aboard. There is certainly alot of ways to go, as far as smokers go. What do you have in mind? Are you going to stickw ith this thing? How far have you ventured into the realm of smoked meat? You know you can use smoke pellets in your Weber kettle, and get a good flavoring on your meat. You can do the same with a gas grill. Do you know how to make a smoke packet using aluminum foil and hardwood pellets?

If you are wanting to jump right in, that is a different story. Be careful spending money on a smoker that you will not be satisfied with in a few months. What kind of price range are you wanting to spend?

If you answer ssome of these questions, we can give you a better recommendation.

Rick

Post Tue Feb 03, 2004 4:42 am
Vinsect well done
well done

Hi Spacemoutain,
Welcome aboard. One of the main things I'd recomend you consider is how much food do you want to cook at a time. Horizontal smokers can take a lot of fuel if your just doing a roast beef.
I have a Char-Broil Silver Smoker which I'm really enjoying. I'm also considering getting a smaller $30 Char-broil vertical smoker for smaller jobs and a $60 16 inch Weber kettle grill.
In the long run, I'll save money in fuel by using the smallest grill that'll do the job.
As much as I'm enjoying this big horizontal smoker, I kinda wish I had gotten a Weber kettle grill first. They're so versatile. If you don't already have one, that would be my 1st recomendation. You can smoke on them too.
You can do most if not all of Steve's recipes on them and there's even an optional rotisserie.
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Post Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:07 am
ThrRoff well done
well done

Spacemoutain,

I also welcome you to this Board. It is a nice place with good people and information. I started with, and still have a Brinkman Pitmaster. It certainly meets my needs for smoking and occassionally using it as a large grill.

Post Thu Feb 12, 2004 9:09 pm
CubFanPete medium
medium

I am currently looking for a water smoker. But following the avdice in how to bbq it is hard to find a electric smoker with boht vents and temp gauge. Anyone have any suggestions?

Post Thu Feb 12, 2004 10:13 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Here is your link for the electric smoker Pete:
http://www.bbqgalore-online.com/bbq2001 ... sku=133918
Good Luck.

Post Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:03 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Pete, just for a comparison Char-Broil makes one; Char-Broil 4754512 Electric Water Smoker; but the Meco Electric Water Smoker (133918) Model 5030 that BBcue-Z listed has access doors and the thermometer is in a better location. Happy hunting!

Post Sat Feb 14, 2004 8:20 pm
Bigmista

I was just passing thru and wanted to give my 2 cents. I just got a Chargriller Super Pro. I've only used it a couple of times but I've made some great pulled Pork. I don't have the offset addition (yet!) but I'm getting along just fine. Temperature control is what I am trying to learn right now.

Tommorow I am going to smoke 4 racks of ribs (2 w/ dry rub and 2 marinated in Malt Liquor) and Monday I am going to smoke a Picnic Roast.

I will let you know how it works out.

Bigmista

Post Sun Feb 15, 2004 9:29 am
hickory pete well done
well done

Thanks for the info. Good to hear that you are enjoying your Chargriller. Looking forward to hearing how those ribs turned out.

Pete

Post Sun Feb 15, 2004 7:47 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Bigmista welcome to the board. Sounds like you're passing thru the right place. As much as you love good BBQ, might I suggest that you register as a member and hang around for a while. Keep the fires burnin' and let us know how it goes!

Return to General Discussion