Board index Barbecue Board Testimonials Darn you Steven

Darn you Steven

Share your war stories, your successes, and how Steven's books have changed your cooking from charburgers to grilling magic.
Post Sun May 22, 2005 11:40 pm

:oops: Curse you Steven Raichlen. :P It started innocently enough with the Indoor grilling book. Sure it was an interesting & thought provoking read. I even tried some of the recipes.

Then you got me :shock: . Next it was BBQ USA, then How To Grill, then Sauces, Rubs and Marinades and The Barbecue Bible. I had to buy them all. My wife has hinted that I'm getting your Beer Can Chicken book for Father's Day (and I'm not a father).

Now DVDs & Videos!

You have my wife, her family, and friends raving how good my ribs & pulled pork are. This happened since I started to read your books and followed your recipes.

I need more books :!: Am I getting to be a BBQ junkie :?:
Da Burnt Food Dude

Never trust a skinny cook

Post Fri May 27, 2005 11:56 am
Bevo's BBQ

I echo Burnt Food Dude. The remote was out of reach. BBQ University came on. Now it's a Season Pass on my TiVO. I've bought a new barrel-style grill with the required cast iron grates and plenty of room for whatever style of cooking I want to do. I've camped and bbq'd for years and years (50 y.o.) but now I'm at the next level. Bought a rotisserie also and have had FABULOUS success with two styles of chicken, good old Smoklahoma Brisket (started at 5 AM and was hungover. - next time, we'll make it a late dinner instead of lunch) a sirloin tip roast and lots of other stuff. This Sunday, Rotisserie Pork Roast a la Bevo. I have a fantastic alteration (I think) of Steven's all purpose bbq rub - I'll tell y'all about it if it works. This is so much fun I can't stand it. And my family is eatin' goooooooood. Past five Sundays, all family dinners. In laws, mom, sister and boyfriend, daughter, me, wife, Bernese Mountain Dog, Cavalier King Charles Spaniel - we're all diggin it.

THANK YOU MR. RAICHLEN!!

Post Tue May 31, 2005 1:09 pm
irishfolker medium
medium

Hi. I'm Jeff and I'm a Q-aholic. My obsession started with an El Cheapo Brinkmann. Then I found BBQ USA. Next I bought an offset. Then it was How to Grill and the Rubs book. I'm totally hooked. Yesterday I was standing in the pouring rain struggling to insert remote thermometer probes into a couple of Beer Can Chickens. Today I ate a pulled pork sandwich for lunch.

I'm helpless. I cannot stop.

I don't mind, really.

Thank you Steve.

Jeff
Thig Crioch air an t-saoghal ach mairidh gaol is ceol

Post Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:13 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Burnt Food Dude wrote:
:My wife has hinted that I'm getting your Beer Can Chicken book for Father's Day (and I'm not a father).

Are you sure about that part??? Maybe not just yet!! :wink:
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
New Braunfels Hondo offset
Bar-B-Chef offset
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Q-220

Post Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:43 am
cmmull well done
well done

YardBurner wrote:
Burnt Food Dude wrote:
:My wife has hinted that I'm getting your Beer Can Chicken book for Father's Day (and I'm not a father).

The ribs can be quite the aphrodisiac.....and the next thing you know, there's a baby q running around... :lol: :lol:

Post Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:43 am

cmmull wrote:
YardBurner wrote:
Burnt Food Dude wrote:

The ribs can be quite the aphrodisiac.....and the next thing you know, there's a baby q running around... :lol: :lol:

I'm 58 & she's 57. I don't think so. But the thought did give me a wee bit of a shock. :shock:
Da Burnt Food Dude

Never trust a skinny cook

Post Sat Jun 25, 2005 5:59 pm
BBQMonkey medium-rare
medium-rare

It's all Steven's fault (and his BBQ sauce book) that I....

A) Make my Girlfriend have fits with the time I spend (and the money) picking out peppers at the grocery store

B) Spend time and money in the spice aisle

C) make a "what the hell..." caliber mess of the kitchen every weekend I get the BBQ sauce bug.

Seriously though, it's a great book and I love taking the recipes out of it and then changing them all up so I can try to concoct my own kind of BBQ sauce. As I type this post, an experiment in ginger ale BBQ sauce is simmering on the burner.

Plus my Girlfriend likes everything I cook 8) AS do all her friends, some of whom now come to ME for BBQ advice and to test out THEIR new sauces!! As if I'm some kind of expert cos I slung some tomato based slop into a mason jar!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Return to Testimonials