Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Turkey Breast

Turkey Breast

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat Jan 31, 2004 6:30 pm
Stik2UrRib rare
rare

I have been given a wild turkey breast to cook. The problem is that the breast has been sliced and frozen. If it were a whole breast it would be easy to cook a number of different ways, but I'm stumped on how to cook the slices :? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Post Sat Jan 31, 2004 7:41 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

If you can reassemble the breast into something that looks like it did before slicing your all set.

Place it in piece of wet cheesecloth big enough to wrap it at least twice. Season with your rub or paste of choice and roll up in the cheesecloth tying the ends with wire or heavy twine.

Smoke it as you would a whole breast. Just make sure to keep the cheesecloth wet.

You won't get the really nice crust but it oughta taste just fine.

Post Sat Jan 31, 2004 9:48 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

You can also use several skewers (metal or bamboo) lay them out horizontally and push the slices through all of them. Alternate the turkey slices with bacon (if you don’t care about fat content), and you’ll get moist and tasty turkey meat. That’s how I usually make Gyro with pre sliced meat.

Post Sat Jan 31, 2004 11:48 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Now adding bacon to this thing just ain't fair. Makes me wanta go hack-up a turkey just to try it. Maybe add some real thin slices of red onion as well.

Post Sun Feb 01, 2004 12:35 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I usually inject a turkey breast, but since this one is already slice you might try marinating it before reassembling and cooking.

Post Sun Feb 01, 2004 12:54 am
spfranz well done
well done

Never ran into this problem before. I like the idea of bacon in between. The skewer idea is good also. Brining might help keep it juicy, I wouldn't brine too long though if it's just slices.

Here's a couple more ideas. Make kind of a roast by putting down a slice then a layer of something, maybe bacon, then a slice, and a layer of something else, maybe onion, then a slice, another layer, maybe another favorite vegetable of some kind, etc. Then tie the whole thing up with butcher string to keep it together.

Or, stuff and roll the slices individually and either tie or skewer. In this case, you could even use regular stuffing and maybe wrap the bacon around the outside and tie them into rolls.

Whatever you decide to do with it, let us know how it turned out. It would be interesting to hear what you came up with and how it worked.

Scott
I like vegetarians. Some of my favorite foods are vegetarians.

Post Sun Feb 01, 2004 7:10 am
Craig medium-rare
medium-rare

You can also get your grill really hot, Place a skillet with a half inch of canola oil in it on the grill, Get this up to 400, add the wood chips and get them smoking, Then add your turkey slices that have been breaded as if you were to deep fry them. If the slices are thin ( half inch or less) these won't take long to cook. The smoke flavor will get in the oil as well as flavor the slices. I love to hunt, and have tried to this recipe before with a turkey I got last fall. Serve this with a honey mustard dipping sauce, and it will be awesome.
Craig
One of my friends works for a place that shall remain nameless, but the name has a gemstone and a day of the week in its title. He gave me the house honey mustard sauce recipe, and it tastes pretty good. See if you like it.
1/2 cup of real mayo
1/3 cup pure honey
1/4 cup French's ballpark mustard
1/4 cup Grey Poupon Dijon mustard
1/2-1 tsp sweet paprika
Sometimes I'll adjust these for a different taste. Hope you like it.

Post Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:21 pm
Stik2UrRib rare
rare

Wow! A lot of good suggestions. Will let y'all know how it works out. Thanks.

Return to General Discussion