Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion New Weber Gas Grill Designs

New Weber Gas Grill Designs

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:06 am
Charred

I was browsing my local Home Depot, the evil orange empire, and notices that they have new Weber gas grills. The packaging is different, but they weren't on display yet.

Looking at the boxes it looks like they have changed the design. I notices that the thermometer is not in the center and the plastic moulding for the side handles look different. Don't know what else changed. Hope that the standard stuff like grate and flavorizor bar dimensions stays the same.

If this follows the current trend in the market, Weber is outsourcing it's product and maybe name to a low bidder.

Post Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:43 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Watch what you say about "the evil orange empire" they have spies everywhere. Our buddy Vinsect runs the grill dept at a Home Depot in Atlanta. Check out the "Secret Meat Weapon" thread, he talks about the new products there a bit. If you have any more questions he may also be able to answer them for you.

Post Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:58 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I don't know...Home Depot 's not soooo bad. As a matter-of-fact, Home Depot and Lowes are two of my favorite vacationing spots, aside from Barbecue's Galore and the meat department! :wink:

Post Fri Jan 30, 2004 3:29 am
chagan well done
well done

No horseback riding in the Store Bob!!

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Fri Jan 30, 2004 5:37 pm
Vinsect well done
well done

Hey Charred,
I'm the local Home Depot Secret Police. Don't make me take you in for questioning. :wink:
Seriously, welcome to the group. I gave a brief review of the new gas webers in an earlier post.
Wev'e gotten in new Weber gas grills that are a little prettier but they did away with a feature I thought was cool. The previous model had a hood thermometer that was removable to use as a meat thermometer. They proabably changed it because those thermometers were a high theft item? Anyway, you can always keep a separate meat thermometer handy.

As for the overall quality, they are Webers. I'm not sure what gave you the impression they were subcontracted out. Try lifting a Weber off the ground and a comparably featured Char-broil for comparrison. The Webers (new or old) weigh a lot more. Weber gives you a lot of grill for the money. They use baked enamel paint, cast iron, and stainless steel. Even the plasic parts tend to be pretty high grade plastic. Although the caster / wheels do break occasionally. They are easy to replace and Webers are easier to roll around than other grills despite weighing a lot more.

The new Webers still have the funnel design for the firebox for amazingly easy cleaning. The burners and flavorizer bars look the same.
If your shopping for a gas grill and you want it to last many years with heavy use, consider a Weber.
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Post Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:07 pm
CubFanPete medium
medium

I'm in the market for a new grill will look at them next time I'm there.

Return to General Discussion