Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Grilling During The Power Outage

Grilling During The Power Outage

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Aug 22, 2003 8:39 am
hickory pete well done
well done

Our household was affected during the large power outage last week. Since all of the appliances are electric, they were useless. The barbeque grill allowed us to utilize eggs, cheese, and breakfast sausage rather than have them spoil and throw everything away. My wife cooked egg and cheese omelletes (cooked in a pie tin), along with the grilled breakfast sausages. Our plan was to start grilling meat products as they thawed. Fortunate for us, the power was restored a few hours after the breakfast. The grill allowed us to make the best of a bad situation. Did anyone experience the same situation? Did the Grill come to the rescue as it did for us?

Pete

Post Fri Aug 22, 2003 9:47 am

i only lost power for a short time. i grilled some swordfish and watch the politicains and power companys point fingers at each other in the comfort of my airconditioned living room. during hurricane gloria in 85 we lived off our grill very hand and very low tech. fire always saves the day.

Post Fri Aug 22, 2003 6:48 pm
Longmill

Big YES!! We live in the southeast and power outages due to ice storms and hurricanes are a fairly routine happening. When the power fails we go "camping". We use the grill and camping stoves for meals, heating water, etc.

A good way to test your preparations to cope is to pretend to have a power failure. Just put painters masking tape (blue) over the switches, buttons, etc. to remind everyone in the household. Try it for at least an afternoon and evening, if you can't manage to do it all day. You may find that you need to buy a manual can opener. FWIW, I learned the hard way that I needed a coffee pot that could sit on the grill. You may learn that you need a lantern of some type to see what you're grilling. You may find that you need to pick up some inexpensive pots and pans for use on the grill. If you have an electric charcoal starter, how will you light your charcoal?

If you don't already have one, purchase a cast iron griddle to go on your grill. For some reason pancakes cooked on the grill always taste better!!

Tip: If you have advance warning of the potential for a power failure, transfer as much as you can from the refigerator to the freezer. If you have a standalone freezer, take everything out of your refigerator freezer. In its place, put pans of water for blocks of ice. A stand alone freezer will hold frozen food much longer than the one in the refigerator. The large blocks of ice will help your refrigerator keep foods below 40 degrees much longer.

With a little advance planning and prep, you can cook almost anything on the grill that you normally cook in the kitchen. Yes, you can even bake biscuits on the grill.

Hope you find this helpful. If you have any tips for backyard cooks coping with power failures, please post. We're in the middle of hurricane season. Winter's fury isn't that far away either.

Longmill

Post Fri Aug 22, 2003 8:41 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

Longmill, you Sure were right on the money when you mentioned testing for preparedness. My wife and I thought that we were ready for most anything that nature could hand out. We were okay for lighting using flashlights. However , we totally forgot the coffee pot, for use on the grill, which we really missed, not to mention the lantern that I procrastinated about buying. There were newscasts showing an entire neighborhood in the area that pooled all of their thawed meat together to have a large neighborhood barbeque. They made good of a tough situation, plus they were able to meet with the neighbors around the grill.

You have mentioned several good ideas, in case the outage should happen again. Thanks..

Pete

Post Sat Aug 30, 2003 9:58 am
Lisa_N rare
rare

Although I was not affected by the blackout, I experienced a similar situation 5 years ago with an ice storm. We were without power for about 5 days and by god, I grilled everything that I could imagine!! I can't say that every meal was a success story, but it goes to show that grilling isn't just for summertime.

Post Sat Aug 30, 2003 9:36 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

Lisa_N wrote:
Although I was not affected by the blackout, I experienced a similar situation 5 years ago with an ice storm. We were without power for about 5 days and by god, I grilled everything that I could imagine!! I can't say that every meal was a success story, but it goes to show that grilling isn't just for summertime.

Seems that lately we have been having outages frequently, not long in duration. Like you, we have some severe winter weather at times. Besides, I'm one of those people that will shovel the snow so that I can get to the grill during the winter.

Pete

Post Wed Sep 17, 2003 5:20 am
Craig medium-rare
medium-rare

Hello Hickory, Yes I have felt power outages and yes the grill is a great savior in the food dept in the event of a disaster. I am getting ready to do this again as I watch Hurricane Isabel pound outside as I type. The power is out now, but being a coastal North Carolinian,I found out the only thing more important than the grill is the Generator! But, hey, I can't kid anybody, I can find any excuse to grill. This storm however, has given me the proverbial licsense to grill for at least three days till the power comes on. Take care
Craig

Post Wed Sep 17, 2003 8:46 am
hickory pete well done
well done

Hello Craig,
When this topic was started, I never thought of the barbeque grill as such an important tool. To me grilling was a fun thing to do, and a way to experiment a little. The power outage certainly changed my view quite a bit. Outages due to something as horrible as a hurricane never entered my mind.

We are watching Isabel's path on the news. Hopefully, it will head back out to the ocean, and spare the coast (doesn't seem to be the case). Good luck to everyone there...hope you can get back to the grill due to more pleasant events.

Pete

Post Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:10 pm
CubFanPete medium
medium

Sorry to drag this topic out again but this is one reason that as i shop for my next grill I think I'm going to get the side burner. Gotta have that morning coffee.

Post Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:15 am
Airfoils well done
well done

I'm surprised I haven't seen cast iron mentioned in this thread. Any backyard cook worth his salt knows cast iron is the $%!*. Give up the cheap flimsy Coleman stuff, get yourself some REAL cookware and learn the fabulous virtues of cast iron! No side burner required, put it where there is heat.

This site is second only to Weber: http://www.lodgemfg.com/

Do yourself a favor and grab a 5quart dutch oven and experiment with some beans or a skillet and some cornbread recipes. There's no other way to cook these dishes. If you're doing it another way, you're DOING IT WRONG! :lol:

Post Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:07 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

A while back we remodeled our kitchen, and we had no stove for over 10 days. The grill was the only way to cook. We’ve used for everything. Also we use the grill all summer long for all-purpose cooking (no just for grilling). It’s so hot in the summer in Atlanta, and we spend so much money on air-conditioning. Instead of heating up the whole house, we use the grill to bake, roast, warm up and cook everyday meals. I tell you it’s a live saver during those hot days.
Airfoil, I know what you mean about cooking with cast iron cookware. They’re a must have for any BBQ lover. I use them to cook all my sides, and they also help me to keep the house cool during the summer months. Dutch ovens are also great for stews in the wintertime. Try this site, they have very unique stuff: http://www.outdoorcooking.com/index.php

Post Thu Jan 29, 2004 7:16 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

BBcue-Z,
Good point about not wanting to heat up the house during the summer. The grill really does serve a lot of purposes. Not to mention the fun of experimenting.

CubFanPete,
Glad you pulled this post out again. Sometimes it helps to see some fresh ideas from people who have just joined us.

Airfoils,
I'm also surprised that cast iron has not been mentioned. Thanks for adding it to the thread.

Pete

Post Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:05 pm
spfranz well done
well done

Cast iron is also a great way to do a steak if for some ungodly reason you are unable to go outside and grill. Like you live in Minnesota where it's currently 35 below with the windchill and it's not that you don't want to go out there, it's just that whatever you cook would freeze by the time it went from the grill to the house :?

Scott
I like vegetarians. Some of my favorite foods are vegetarians.

Post Tue Feb 03, 2004 3:33 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Airfoils -
A big Thanks for posting that website! I'd been looking for a "melting pot" for quite a while and haven't found any the right size or price. The have it! I'll be getting several soon. These guys are perfect for on the grill, sideburner or not, for things like bbq sauce and butter! Thanks again.

Return to General Discussion