Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Beer Can Chicken Help!

Beer Can Chicken Help!

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Jul 01, 2003 12:09 pm
stripegrill medium
medium

I am attempting beer can chicken this weekend. My hesitation is that I am using a 2 burner grill and I am worried about the indirect heat and cooking time. Does anyone have a suggestion? Thanks!

Post Tue Jul 01, 2003 12:52 pm
Tex rare
rare

Turn one burner off and put the chicken over it. I usually cook at about 325 for about 1 1/4 hours.

Post Wed Jul 02, 2003 4:26 pm
baytiger

I put off doing this for a while too for the same reason, and I wasn't sure how to smoke it with this grill. All I did was soak the wood as instructed, put it into a foil pouch, then poked holes in the top. I put this directly on top of the ceramic coals, then put the grate on. I turned both sides to high intil the wood started to smoke, then I turned one off, and the other one to medium low. put the bird on the off side, and it turned out perfect.

Post Thu Jul 03, 2003 11:06 am
dwilli01 rare
rare

The Beer Can Chicken is really easy. You have to resist the urge to raise the lid until the 1 1/4 hours is up. After your first one you will never cook chicken any other way.

Post Thu Jul 03, 2003 1:23 pm

baytiger wrote:
All I did was soak the wood as instructed, put it into a foil pouch, then poked holes in the top. I put this directly on top of the ceramic coals, then put the grate on. I turned both sides to high intil the wood started to smoke, then I turned one off, and the other one to medium low

Did medium/low provide enough heat to keep smoking without the chips eventually catching fire? Mine catch fire, but I am thinking Medium is too high. I will try medium low.
I've also read u can get away with not soaking the chips if you're using the gas so they'll smoke sooner.

Post Thu Jul 03, 2003 3:41 pm
stripegrill medium
medium

My wife bought me an assortment of wood chips to try. I have hickory, mesquite, and apple. What do you guys suggest?

Post Thu Jul 03, 2003 3:49 pm
Luke medium-rare
medium-rare

I like apple with chicken but I also tend to just throw on a chicken with whatever "main meat" I am cooking. (There is always someone int eh crowd that appreciates having chicken) It always turns out more or less the same because I never cook chicken long enough to discern the difference.

Post Fri Jul 04, 2003 1:49 pm

I made this last weekend but I used a can of Pepsi as I don't have canned beer. I cooked an oven stuffer chicken (6-7 pounds). It took a little longer than the 1 1/4 hours. It was so moist the juice run out. The taste was fantastic.

Post Sun Jul 06, 2003 6:35 am
stripegrill medium
medium

For some reason I was not logged in. Sorry for the double post!

Anonymous wrote:
Thanks for all of your help and advice. I made it last night and it was great! Aside from getting the skin just a little too crispy (I left the burner on too high) it was delicious.

Post Wed Jul 16, 2003 6:43 pm
Georgeh raw
raw

I found that with the two burner gas grill it can be tough keeping your chips producing good smoke. My solution to this was to use that handy yet hardly ever used side burner to start my foil packet of wood chips smoldering. When I feel it's ready I move the packet to the internal grill area. Since I do not have a smoke box I tend to prepare several packets and when one seems to die down too much I just ready another on the side burner in no time with this method. This way my grill is producing great smoke and a constant 300 degree.

Another trick I use is adding sweet basil to my beer for steaming and of course serious basting with my homemade BBQ sauce during the last 15-30 mins.

Enjoy
George

Post Thu Jul 17, 2003 9:28 am
stripegrill medium
medium

Thanks for all of your help. I have now made this several times and each time it just gets better. A couple of things I have learned is to keep the can about 3/4 full so the bird doesn't tip over. Also, I have added a sprig of fresh rosemary to the can so that flavor is added to the taste.

If you're looking for a good bbq sauce, try the pineapple bbq sauce that I found at www.bbqu.net. You need to go to the show that deals with ribs and the recipe is there.

Good eating!

Return to General Discussion