Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Wing question

Wing question

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Jan 27, 2004 4:45 pm

Anyone have any good wing sauce recipies?

I've been wanting to try and make my own. I like the zesty bbq flavored wings. I don't like the really hot sauces but I don't mind a little bite.

Man, it's taken me forever to get a post to go, every time I've tried it I get a invalid session message.

Post Tue Jan 27, 2004 4:58 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

bigmikesh2o, Welcome aboard!!!

This was a real hot topic a few months ago. Take a look at the Thread titled "Holiday Feast". It contains the recipe for Buffalo Wings that a lot of us here have enjoyed. The Thread was started by Grand Scale, and he is also the one that posted the recipe as follows:

Buffalo Wings
Ala-- Grand Scale
Based on the Anchor Bar (in Buffalo NY, origin of buffalo wings) recipe

The Sauce - makes enough for about 30 wings
FRANK'S Louisiana Hot Sauce (also sold as DURKEE'S or Crystal)
margarine (not butter !!)
White vinegar
Cayenne pepper powder
garlic salt
black pepper
Worcestershire sauce
Tabasco sauce
Mix all the ingredients in a small sauce pan over low heat until the margarine is completely melted, then stir until everything is blended into the sauce. Then get the sauce off of the heat !! This last step is quite important, as any additional heating tends to kill the flavor. Keep Stirred! I also enjoy adding sliced jalapenos.

The Wings - use about 30 wings
Use completely defrosted wings
Cut off the tips
Use a deep fryer (or a pot deep enough to hold wings covered with oil)
Use a candy thermometer to measure the temperature of the oil.
In the deep fryer, put in about a quart of peanut oil (yes, I said peanut oil. Other types of oil don't seem to develop quite the same exquisite flavor.) Heat the peanut oil to 375 degrees F., and drop in half (15) of the wings, one at a time. Doing it one at a time is important, as you don't want to lower the temperature of the peanut oil too much (less than about 325 degrees F.) by dumping in a whole load of cold wings all at one time. Fry the wing for 12 to 15 minutes, then take them out. Place the other 15 wings in the deep fryer, then drain the hot, cooked wings for a few minutes through a strainer, preferably placed over the deep fryer. If you don't use a strainer, the residual oil will congeal on the wings, making a rather greasy mess. Paper Towels will also work. When all the wings are cooked, put the wings and the sauce in a container with a over. Then vigorously shake the container until the wings are thoroughly coated.
Since 30 wings is not a meal, keep warm in an oven on low heat.
This will also help hold the sauce to the wing.
Serve with celery and blue cheese salad dressing.

Good Luck and Enjoy!

Post Tue Jan 27, 2004 5:27 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

welcome bigsmikesh2o..Hope you enjoy the board. There is a lot of good information, if you search through some of the past posts, you'll find a lot of good ideas. If you continue to have trouble logging on/sending messages, contact info@workman.com/ They are pretty good at solving those problems if they continue. Good luck.

Pete

Post Tue Jan 27, 2004 5:56 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Welcome to the site.
Here is my favorite recipe:

Rub:
2 tsp Allspice
2 tsp white pepper
2 tsp Lemon pepper
2 tsp Granulated onion powder
1 tsp Granulated garlic powder
1 tsp Ancho chili powder- or your favorite stuff
½ tsp cumin
Salt and black pepper to taste
Use as much rub on the wings as you like (also based on how much you’re cooking)

Marinade:
¼ cup lemon juice
¼ cup cider vinegar
½ cup pineapple juice
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
½ cup worcestershire sauce
¼ cup dark brown sugar or you can use molasses
6oz beer (I prefer dark beer)
2 cloves of garlic- minced

Coat the wing with the rub and place them in the marinade the day before you intend to cook them. Feel free to add hot sauce based on your preference and heat tolerance.

I usually cook mine on the grill. I use a flat rotisserie basket. I like these baskets for 2 reasons: 1- I can turn almost 20 wings with one flip, 2- they don’t have a long handle, so I can place them directly on the grill and close the lid without any problems.

After taking the wings out of the marinade, drain them well and brush them with olive oil. Sprinkle more of the rub on them. While the wings are cooking, boil the marinade and baste the wings frequently until they’re done.

This recipe works well with chicken breast as well. It may not sound good, but try it and you’ll always use it.

Enjoy!

Post Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:41 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

bigmikesh2o wrote:
Anyone have any good wing sauce recipies?

I've been wanting to try and make my own. I like the zesty bbq flavored wings. I don't like the really hot sauces but I don't mind a little bite.

Man, it's taken me forever to get a post to go, every time I've tried it I get a invalid session message.

There is also a link at the top of the page titled "techniques and recipes" that has some interesting ideas. Also, if you get the opportunity, Steven's book "Sauces, Rubs, and Marinades" is loaded with things to try. The biggest problem is trying to figure what to try first..

Pete

Post Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:55 am
chagan well done
well done

BUFFA-QUE!
Am I the only one out there who has tried these? Please someone else chime in and tell people how good these things are! :cry:

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:05 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Just because I feel obligated to chime in here (even though Bob did most of my work for me. Thanks.)

If you don't like alot of het you can adjust the heat level of mine quite easily but adjusting the spices.

Z - I like the sound of yours, I will have to try it!

And from what I hear chagan is right, the Buffa Que wing are awesome too. I sort of tried them. I followed Steves technique but used my wing sauce. Great results. The only complaint I had was that I found the wing more difficult to eat because it wasn't cut into sections. But thats just me..

Big Mike you should have no problem!

Good Luck and Enjoy!

Post Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:02 pm
spfranz well done
well done

Whatever recipe you decide on, Steve's idea for skewering the wings to hold them in a nice shape works wonderfully. It also looks cool and impresses the guests.

Scott
I like vegetarians. Some of my favorite foods are vegetarians.

Post Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:20 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Hey, Grand Scale did ya ever think of cuttin' 'em apart after ya were done burnin' 'em.

Post Fri Jan 30, 2004 3:23 am
chagan well done
well done

Grand Scale wrote:
The only complaint I had was that I found the wing more difficult to eat because it wasn't cut into sections. But thats just me..

Now come on G.S., I know your wife doesn't like you playing with sharp objects but..... :roll:

Maybe we'll pick u up some of them plastic cutlery sets.

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Sun Feb 01, 2004 7:40 am
Craig medium-rare
medium-rare

Hey, chagan, I totally agree on the BUFFA-Q wings!!!!! Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!
I also tried the one by Grand Scale, It is also quite tasty.

Post Tue Feb 03, 2004 3:23 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

But if you cut them apart they loose the cool appearance. And to cut them aprat after they're served just slows me down...
When I eat Wings...i EAT WINGS.
"KEEP YOUR HANDS AND FEET, LOOSE OBJECTS, AND SMALL CHILDREN AWAY FROM MY MOUTH!"

Post Tue Feb 03, 2004 7:00 pm

I can finally reply to posts now.

Thanks for the ideas and hope to make some soon.

Post Tue Feb 03, 2004 9:13 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Hey, GS, have you seen my car keys? They were right here next to the wings!

You would still present them on the skewers but tear 'em apart on the plate, silly.

Return to General Discussion