Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Mop Cleaning

Mop Cleaning

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:11 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I seem to remember this being discussed here before but I couldn't find it, so I appologize for the repition but this is worthy of repeating I think.

What is the best way to clean/dry/store a grill mop?

I've tried a bunch uf different ways and am just not pleased with any of them.

Post Mon Jan 26, 2004 11:12 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I also remember a discussion on this topic but don't recall if it was here or while doing some browsing. I don't own a mop yet (been spraying and brushing). The chatter I heard was; rinse the mop well in hot water then soak it in a light bleach mixture, changing the bleach-water several times. After which you let it soak over night. Then the next day you wash your mop in a dishwasher as the final step. The mop needs to be stored in a clean, dry location. It seems like there’s a lot of fuss to keep it sterile.

Post Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:06 pm
MReynolds well done
well done

From the Q & A section of the third issue of Up In Smoke:
“What’s the proper way to wash basting brushes,” writes Scott from Federal Way, Washington.

First, soak the brush in a bowl of hot soapy water for 24 hours, changing the water several times. (Plunge it up and down like a plumbers’ helper to loosen any deeply imbedded debris.) Then place it in the dishwasher. Clean barbecue mops the same way.
ImageImage
PETA - People Eat Tasty Animals

Post Mon Jan 26, 2004 3:12 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Thanks MReynolds that was what I read! Guess I threw the bleach in for good measure :lol:

Post Mon Jan 26, 2004 3:20 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

In talking with a BBQ caterer a couple of years ago about the usual BS.

He told me to wash them in about the same way as described above and then rather than waiting for them to dry, he stuck the head in a zip top bag and threw it in the freezer.

When he needed a mop he just took one out rinsed it under hot water and started splashing away.

I've been doing it this way ever since.

Post Mon Jan 26, 2004 3:36 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

That's so easy! Thanks YB. You don't even have to keep the mop dry and it can't get dirty. It seem that with conventional storage (i.e. in a drawer or hanging up) you would have to clean the mop before each use as well. I like this tip.

Post Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:09 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

I don't even bother with a mop anymore unless it's something big enough to justify it's use. For cooking for my family and smalll gatherings, a brush works much better IMHO since it doesn't drink up half the mop baste on it's own (what a terrible waste of good baste), not to metnion the headache it is to clean them as this thread illustartes. Now, if I were cooking a whole pig or a lot of chickens I could see myself using it and might consider it disposable.

Post Tue Jan 27, 2004 1:30 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I only use a mop for thin bastes and if you start with a wet mop head it won't waste as much.

A brush is used for everything else.

Lately I've been running my mop sauce through several layers of cheese cloth and just spraying it on.

Post Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:12 pm
MReynolds well done
well done

Bob, that sig pic is sweet! Love it!
ImageImage
PETA - People Eat Tasty Animals

Post Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:57 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Thanks MReynolds, Just had to see if it would work.

Return to General Discussion