Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion new to grillin !

new to grillin !

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:51 pm

It sounds to me ilike they are talking about indirect cooking. You can sucessfully smoke things using that method though. If that is what they are talking about then the cooking times would be different from the traditional smoker cooking times. The meat, while not directly over the flame, is still closer to it than in a traditional smoker. Also, since its probably a little smaller than a smoker, it will get hotter in there. But I don't know that model of grill well and I could be wrong. Mabye someone with that grill can help you better. Have fun with your new toy! My wife is from Columbus Ohio, Go Buckeyes!
"I'm just another, Beer Drinking, Good Time Having, Regular Guy" - Quote from my apron

Post Mon Jan 26, 2004 11:53 pm
spfranz well done
well done

I think the answer to your question would be yes. Indirect cooking just means that you are not cooking directly over the fire. You can do this either by having the fire to the side, in an offset box, or with a barrier of some kind between the fire and the food.

Smoking can be done either hot or cold. Hot smoking is generally indirect cooking at a low temperature with some amount of wood or other smoking ingredient (for lack of a better word). Cold smoking is done with the smoke far enough away from the fire so that there is very little heat but still in the path of the smoke.

So from the way I understand your unit, you can cook indirect, and you can hot smoke on it. You could probably cold smoke if you can sustain a fire with a temperature of less than 90 degrees or so.

Scott
I like vegetarians. Some of my favorite foods are vegetarians.

Post Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:35 am
MReynolds well done
well done

I have a Charbroil Big Easy, which the mfg refers to as a Grill/Smoker too. My opinion is that they call it a smoker based on the large domed (somewhat) lid. I haven't done any smoking on mine as I have a separate smoker for that purpose, but I can see cooking indirectly with a "smoke pouch" for the smoking process. So, yeah, I guess it's possible. Or it's simply a selling tool by the mfg, which is probably more likely. :wink:
ImageImage
PETA - People Eat Tasty Animals

Post Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:37 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Hey smokey-bones,

Welcome aboard! I hope this discussion helps and you continue to find answers around here. We've found that our newer members have a lot to offer as well. I'm picking up a lot of good tips from them.

A lot of us use the indirect grilling method on both charcoal and gas grills to add a nice smoky flavor to our meals. The smoke ring is usually not as deep into the meat but it still adds a great taste. Steven's 'How to Grill', as you mentioned, is a great tool to illustrate this technique.

Return to General Discussion