Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Charcoal/Gas Combo

Charcoal/Gas Combo

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Jan 26, 2004 8:37 pm
CubFanPete medium
medium

I am currently looking at purchasing a new grill and am curious about the the grills by char-broil that can use both charcoal and gas. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with one. I like the taste of the charcoal but on occasion like the control and convience of gas any thoughts?

Post Mon Jan 26, 2004 8:55 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

CubFanPete..Welcome to the group. While I can't answer your question about the combo grill, there are a lot of people in the know here. Hopefully, someone can reply from experience. Hope you participate, and share your experiences with us. By the way..I like your screen name..

Pete

Post Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:21 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Although i have no experience with that particular unit I do have experience with combo units. In my opinion the obvious advantage is the versatility of either gas or charcoal. The subtle advantage is when you thing about both! As any charcoal guy will tell you, a chimney starter is esential. With these combo units you can use your gas as your starter. Not quite the same but deffinately effective. Not knowing that particular unit I'd caution you to make sure that there are enough air vents to keep air moving for charcoal. But take it at face value, I am a gas guy.

Good Luck and Enjoy!

Post Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:46 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

Charbroil has a web site at www.charbroil.com/ Perhaps there is some information on the particulars for the grill that you are looking at. Good Luck.

Pete

Post Mon Jan 26, 2004 11:00 pm
CubFanPete medium
medium

I am currently using gas but planning on buying a new grill. So also thinking about models with smoke boxes. Or just buying gas and getting offset smoker down the road. So many options takes awhile to sort through them all.

Post Mon Jan 26, 2004 11:47 pm
spfranz well done
well done

I only use charcoal so I don't have any direct experience with a combo unit. However, there were some discussions on the Kamado forum and the thing that I remember there is to be careful when using both at the same time. The fire can get pretty hot.

If you have the money and can wait for 4 months to get it, I'd highly recommend a Kamado. Especially if you live in a cold weather climate. Also, the gas unit in a Kamado is completely removable (if I remember correctly).

Scott
I like vegetarians. Some of my favorite foods are vegetarians.

Post Mon Jan 26, 2004 11:52 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

I don’t have that particular model, but I apply the same concept to my gas grill by using a heavy-duty foil pan. It works for me.

Post Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:06 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I'm partial to separate units instead of a combo. With an offset you’ll be able to make true low-n-slow BBQ. An offset will take more time and effort, but that’s the way uhuh uhuh I like it. But if you’re looking at space saving and convenience the combo would be a good choice.

Post Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:48 am
MReynolds well done
well done

I have one of these grills. Here are my thoughts on it...the convenience of the gas is great. I can light my charcoal (briquettes) which ride in a stainless (?) pan with ease. The drawbacks? Well, you can pretty much only cook with the direct method when using charcoal because the cooking grate rides on top of this pan by a few inches. (5 maybe?) Then, the pan is very small when compared to a regular charcoal grill. And I currently have only the one pan, so refilling when/if needed is also an exercise.

In all, I think it was a great marketing tool but not very practical. Of course, I picked mine up for less than $30 so the price was right and I couldn't pass that up. The model I have is the Traditional Quickset. The Big Easy version with 3 main burners may be a different beast altogether.

Mike
ImageImage
PETA - People Eat Tasty Animals

Return to General Discussion