Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Cook Master Smoker Grill

Cook Master Smoker Grill

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Jan 26, 2004 6:09 pm
Hairbear

Just purchased the Cook Master Smoker Grill from Lowe's ($79.00) today which has the lp gas attachment (lp gas tank sold seperately of course). Before I open the box...Is this a good or bad purchase in terms of smoking and slow cooking BBQ? Also, do I need to break in this smoker before using it? Thanks.....Hairbear

Post Mon Jan 26, 2004 6:17 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Drop a line to GrandScale (of this board) about this unit.

He has one and raves about it. I think his is stainless.

Post Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:13 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Yup Hairbear thats my boy!! And you got it at a great price. Don't return it! At least if you want to I'm sure one of the gang here would snatch it up first. If you want some more details about it on the "Deep Fried Turkey" thread from back in December. Good memory Yard! Anyway I do really like mine. Hope you do to.

Good Luck and Enjoy!!

Oh yeah...deffinately season first. There are several threads out there that will give you a "how to" I think Dkirn had a good one (I have a good memory, it's just short, I had to search for the Deep Fried Turkey thread), or at least if we ask him really nicely he'll throw down here.

Welcome aboard and enjoy the insanity!!

Post Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:51 pm
Hairbear

Thanks Grand Scale for the info and Yes, I will be keeping the bbq grill. Looks like I will be seasoning the grill Wednesday night....Its never to cold to bbq in MI....Right?

Post Sat Jan 31, 2004 7:11 pm
CubFanPete medium
medium

I looked at one briefly today are there two cooking levels in it? How much will it hold.

Post Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:03 pm

Yes, the masterbuilt grill I have does have two levels to cook on. As to how much it will hold....it can probably hold two 13 lbs turkeys (one on each level). No, I probably won't cook two turkeys at once but hopefully this will give you an idea of its capacity. Also, go to the following link and you can see my grill (M7 which is priced at $119.95...I got my for $79.00):

http://www.masterbuilt.com/pages/ocsmokers.html

Hope this helps.....Hairbear

Post Tue Feb 03, 2004 3:57 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I've also used the space ring but taken the grate out to create a space for a larger bird. Mine took a 23 pounder this way...barely.

Post Tue Feb 03, 2004 6:28 pm
CubFanPete medium
medium

I've seen this model at lowes really debating between it and electric model. What are the advantages/disadvantages of one verses the other.

Post Wed Feb 04, 2004 9:42 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

The electric unit is not the excact same. My guess is that it is just a smoker. This 7-in-1 is just gas only, although you could use electric to start you charcoal. I went with the gas for the sole reason of versitility. Both can always be used with charcoal so you've got that going for you, which is nice. But its easier to lug around a propane tank than alwyas trying to find an electric outlet. Great for tailgating or camping. To take advange of the 7-in-1 feature which is frankly why I bought this guy and love it it would have to be based on the gas burner.

Post Sat Feb 14, 2004 5:39 pm
CubFanPete medium
medium

Well, just followed hairbear's lead and purchased th 7 in one cookmaster from Lowes. Looking forward to firing it up. Might season it tomorrow.

Post Sat Feb 14, 2004 6:32 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Pete - Congrats on the new Toy!! I hope you enjoy it!
Now the important part...what do you christen it with?
Good Luck and Enjoy!

Post Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:08 pm

Glad to hear you purchased the 7 n One. When I finally put together the grill....I tried to season the grill. Seasoning a grill in the dead of a MI winter is kind of hard....The next 40 degree day will be my next attempt to season it and to finally use it!!! ....Hairbear

Post Sun Feb 22, 2004 7:37 pm
CubFanPete medium
medium

Started seasoning my smoker yesterday but I have a question. When I first started seasoning was using mesquite chips but as they burned out I went and picked up some Hickory chunks. When I added them soaked them first but could not get them to burn. Should I have not soaked them or added them sooner to the embers or start them with the chips? The good news is this happened on seasoning not cooking.

Post Sun Feb 22, 2004 11:59 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

CubFanPete wrote:
Started seasoning my smoker yesterday but I have a question. When I first started seasoning was using mesquite chips but as they burned out I went and picked up some Hickory chunks. When I added them soaked them first but could not get them to burn. Should I have not soaked them or added them sooner to the embers or start them with the chips? The good news is this happened on seasoning not cooking.

Chips have to be soaked because they'll otherwise burn up immediately hence why I don't use chips. I strictly use chunks and just pitch them on. Some people say soaking makes the smoke milder but I couldn't tell much difference and if anything, I'm after more smoke flavor than less. Another reason you could soak chunks would be to make them last longer. For me if I'm running out of smoke I just throw more on. No muss no fuss. Still, it sounds to me it was just a matter of not having a hot enough fire.

Post Mon Feb 23, 2004 2:32 pm
chagan well done
well done

I just wish that they were more functional. I would snatch up an 8 in 1 in a heartbeat, but a 7 in 1?

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Next

Return to General Discussion