Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Buffalo Q

Buffalo Q

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Jan 23, 2004 9:30 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Has anyone had any experience with buffalo meat? I've seen it at my local super market and was wondering what it would taste like. The store had Buffalo rib eye steaks. I assume I will cook it the same way as beef?

Post Sat Jan 24, 2004 10:56 am
Airfoils well done
well done

I haven't had straight Buffalo but I have had "Beefalo" and that is treated the same as beef.

Post Sat Jan 24, 2004 4:05 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Buffalo is great!

Just don't over cook it. It gets kinda dry and chewy.

It tends to be really lean and doesn't have any marbeling to speak of.

I just rub some extra virgin olive oil on salt and pepper and try not to cook it much past medium rare.

Post Sat Jan 24, 2004 4:51 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

Yeah I was going to say I have heard from others that you should treat it a lot like venison.

Post Sat Jan 24, 2004 9:58 pm
chagan well done
well done

Hate to be a stickler for details, but what you are looking at is probably bison. It is much leaner than your standard beef but has such a great flavor. I have had buffalo (bison) burgers and jerkey. It has quite a nice flavor- a lot like beef, but yet different. I would follow the recommendations for putting a little oil on plus your favorite seasonings. Put it on the grill over direct high heat and cook it to medium or less. (as mentioned cooking to well done will dry the meat out) Cheers.

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Sun Feb 01, 2004 9:55 am
dkirn well done
well done

Bison is a great meat, it has a slight hint of a unique flavor and very tender. I get bison skirt steak for fajitas and my wife and I prefer it to regular skirt steak. Also you can not go wrong with a bison burger!

Return to General Discussion