Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Newbie to the Group but not to the Grill

Newbie to the Group but not to the Grill

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Jan 23, 2004 11:18 am

Hey Everyone,

I just found this message board while looking for some grilling tips on BBQing Lamb. I own the BBQ Bible and absolutly love it! Every single thing I have cooked out of that book is wonderful. Does anyone have any tips for BBQing Leg of Lamb. I was thinking about doing a bone in style using the indirect method. There is a recipie in the BBQ Bible for South African Bone In Leg of Lamb and it sounds really good. Has anyone tried that? Anyway, this looks like a great message board and hopefully I can contribute to the group.
"I'm just another, Beer Drinking, Good Time Having, Regular Guy" - Quote from my apron

Post Fri Jan 23, 2004 11:47 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Howdy CharcoalGrillinDaddy!

Welcome to the Barbecue Bible Website. I'm glad you found this board. You're welcome to stop by the Thread call "Sticky: Member and Guest Sign" at the top of the list and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about your BBQ experience, equipment, tastes and so on!

The wife and I do not care for lamb much. We do like gyros though. So I can't be much assistance this time but there are several folks here that do. So hang in there!

Post Fri Jan 23, 2004 12:14 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I have done lots of lamb on the grill (chops and patties mostly) but not the whole leg. But what I will offer you is my take on rubs. Lamb goes great with olive oil, garlic, mustard and rosemary. The last lamb chops I did I actually placed several rosemary sprigs in my smoker and they came out great. Not to mention the aroma! One more bit of advise, too many people over cook lamb. I like it soooo much better in the medium to medium rare range. Just my opinion!
Good luck and enjoy!

I am also looking forward to reading the other suggestions and tips.

Post Fri Jan 23, 2004 2:31 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

CharcoalGrillinDaddy,
Welcome to the site..Hope you find everything you're looking for here. There's a lot of great people willing to share their ideas. Although, we don't eat lamb at our house, There are a few recipes in Steven's "How To Grill" book. It also has great pictures to go along with the description. Good luck with your grilling experiences.

Pete

Post Fri Jan 23, 2004 4:37 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Welcome to the site, I’m new myself. I love this site and I’m sure you will too. I have a lot of experience in cooking lamb; I grow up on it. Lamb was the only meat we ate in my home country. The best way to cook a leg of lamb is to butterfly it first, because you’d want the marinade to reach every part of the meat. Use vinegar based marinates. Vinegar will get rid of the gamey taste the lamb has. I would also include something sweet in the marinade. I usually use apple cider or crushed pineapples, but you can use any flavor you like. Also place an onion in a food processor and cream it, then add it to your marinate, this will also help with the gamey taste. The longer you soak the lamb, the better it will taste. I usually let it go for a week. Experiment with marinade until you find the right mix of spices/herbs that you will like best.
Good luck.

Post Fri Jan 23, 2004 6:56 pm
spfranz well done
well done

I have made Steve's South African leg of lamb and it's wonderful. It's a nice departure from the usual lamb accompaniments. We had an elderly friend who loved lamb and so I made it for her every year on her birthday. This one was very good.

Scott
I like vegetarians. Some of my favorite foods are vegetarians.

Post Fri Jan 23, 2004 9:48 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

Hey charcoal, welcome to the board. I'm just down the road in Durham. I've avoided butterflying a leg of lamb but I'll get around to trying it sometime when i feel i have money to waste on my knife skills. I've done chops a number of times though and prefer to marinate in yogurt based concoctions for 3-4 days.

BBcuez, welcome to you as well. What's your home country? Be careful, I enjoy the exotic side of BBQ and if it isn't from here, chances are I'm eager to give it a try, palpatating cobra hearts aside :D So I'm likely to pick your brain on some of your native dishes. I'm looking forward to your posts. I'll be on the loook out for them. :D

Post Sat Jan 24, 2004 11:21 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Thanks Airfoils,
You don’t have to butterfly the lamb if you don’t want to. You can run a knife around the edge of the bone (from both end) to create a channel for the marinade to get deep into the lamb. Also poke many deep holes into the lamb using a thin metal skewer. You will have to repeat this process everyday until you take the lamb out of the marinade. I just find it easier to butterfly it.

Yogurt, lemon juice, vinegar or any acid based marinades will work. I like to use yogurt for flavoring the lamb, but I use the vinegar initially to make the meat taste milder. I come from a Mediterranean country, and for some reason the lamb there does not taste as strong as it does here. We use vinegar back home to get rid of the gamey taste of wild rabbits, so I just applied the same concept to lamb.

Airfoils, feel free to ask me about any Mediterranean recipe. I love to cook and know many recipes from all around the Mediterranean area.

Post Sat Jan 24, 2004 10:21 pm
chagan well done
well done

The reason the the lamb tastes stronger here has probably got to due with the feed. As Steven just mentioned in his notes on South American BBQ in the December issue of Up in Smoke, the beef in Argentina is milder in taste to it's US counterpart because the cattle there are grass fed, not grain fed as is done here. I assume that is why the Mediterranean Lamb is milder. I can't wait to hear some of your recipies BBcue-Z, Always looking to try something new. Welcome to the board!

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:29 pm

Thanks for the tips everyone! I actually decided to do the "Moroccan Grilled Lamb" from the BBQ! Bible. It turned out great! I think my family and I are hooked on Lamb now. Its a neat recipie where you coat the lamb in a butter paste with garlic, mint, cumin, and other good stuff. The Leg is butterflyed and cooked directly over the coals. Every five minutes you spread more butter on it. Oh man! It was quite good! I grilled that on saturday, it was 60 degrees and I was out in a t-shirt grilling. The next day it was 17 degrees and snowing! AHHHHHHH! I've been stuck in the house since sunday. I'm actually looking foward to returning to work! I hope all you other NC Folks (and other east coasters) are doing ok! You know its cold when you go in the garage and grab a beer from the beer fridge, and its frozen solid! Thanks again for the tips. I would highly recommend the Moroccan Lamb.
"I'm just another, Beer Drinking, Good Time Having, Regular Guy" - Quote from my apron

Return to General Discussion