Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Southern Pride Smoker

Southern Pride Smoker

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Jan 19, 2004 7:40 pm
MrMilk rare
rare

I am looking at a used Southern Pride gas wood smoker rotisserie commercial unit. Anyone have any experience with one of these? Thanks much.

Post Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:49 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

MrMilk,

I spent a little time on the manufacture's website, their server is slow! They have some nice commercial units. Some evacuate the smoke prior to opening the door and others reclaim the heat as it vents and re-circulates it. They are insulated and very heat efficient. The manufacture claims some models can cook all day on two fireplace size logs.

What model are you looking at?

Are you in or leaning towards the BBQ business?

Post Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:03 pm
dkirn well done
well done

Mr Milk

I have had the pleasure of "playing" with one of these commercial smokers - I had a distributor bring one by and let me play with it a little. It is a great smoker, I wish I had the commercial kitchen space to get one!

Post Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:45 pm
MrMilk rare
rare

Thanks Deputy, the model I am looking at is a SPK 500. I can tell it is a nice system. I am now very much considering on doing this for a living, Its time I actually do something I enjoy and I have to admit I put out some good eats. I have spent the last few weeks looking into some kitchens or smaller restaurants. In my area this is hard to come by. I may consider doing a catering business with a storefront so people can pick up stuff as well as deliver. I currently take orders through Wednesday to be delivered on Friday afternoons. This is working out very well, but am missing a lot of business on the other days. So I am still playing it by ear and seeing what is going to best for me. As always any advice from others is always welcome.

Post Fri Jan 23, 2004 11:25 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Wow dkirn you have all the luck!

This cooker has a monster rotisserie that is capable of moving 15 trays with over 500 pounds of meat. Nice! It looks like a good piece of equipment to go into business with. Number the trays and keep a log of when what went in. All that BBQ goin’ ‘round in circles could get confusing.

Good luck on your venture MrMilk!

Post Fri Jan 23, 2004 11:32 am

Thanks Deputy, that's the one I am loking at. Except the one I am looking at has 10 racks, but still that's a lot of meat. I am now getting all my paper work done to get licensed. You talking paper work :!:

Return to General Discussion