Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Sideburner Poll?

Sideburner Poll?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Fri Jan 23, 2004 12:48 am
spfranz well done
well done

I don't have a side burner but do use an old cheap gas grill which I find works better for me. Better temp control and can close it to block out the wind. I use it to keep things warm if I'm doing something that I have to cook in batches, to keep sauces warm, to keep serving platters warm if I'm grilling in the winter. I also use it to do side dishes if they're wrapped in foil or any other dish where I'm not trying to get that good charcoal or smoke flavor added but want to stay in my "kitchen".

Scott
I like vegetarians. Some of my favorite foods are vegetarians.

Post Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:18 am
GBitto rare
rare

Current and previous grills had sideburner- rarely used them. Thought I would get more use out of them. Fortunately, both grills came with burner - didn't pay any more for them. Since I'm getting more serious about grilling, maybe I'll use it more for sauces, etc. that others have mentioned.

Post Tue Jan 27, 2004 4:58 pm
CubFanPete medium
medium

Very interesting poll. I was thinking about getting one on my next grill for coffee and such while power is out after hurricanes.

Post Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:11 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

See my post of 1-22 . The butane burners are portable enough to take to work , to church, camping, and just about anywhere you can think of.

When my familty travels ANYWHERE I take at least one stove and 3 or 4 cans of fuel with us,

It's so compact and powerful you can heat and cook almost anything you might need.

From stir-fry to making coffee in an enamel camp style percolator, it's the most versatile and portable piece of cookin equipment I own.

Just tuck a 10 or 12" non-stick skillet and a 6 or 8 quart stock pot into the vehicle somewhere and you are able to cook at least something for almost any situation.

The best part is I can have 2, 3 or 4 side burners an I'm not limited to having them alongside the grill.

We also use a couple of buffet style steam table chafing warmers from Sam's to keep things
hot for the larger groups.

Keeps things from drying out and keeps the cook from having to eat cold stuff when he finally gets a chance. (other than cooks treats)

Post Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:53 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

CubFanPete wrote:
Very interesting poll. I was thinking about getting one on my next grill for coffee and such while power is out after hurricanes.

There was a thread a while back that was titled "grilling during the power outage", where we talked about the benefits of the grill when the stove is not available due to severe weather. You might find that one interesting..

Pete

Post Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:28 am
Vinsect well done
well done

This has turned into an interesting Poll. I agree with GBitto ....

Since I'm getting more serious about grilling, maybe I'll use it more for sauces, etc. that others have mentioned.

Others have mentioned power outages. Even though I haven't been using the sideburner, it has brought me some piece of mind knowing its there if the power or household gas goes off.
One idea I hadn't heard mentioned yet, if one were going to cook up something too stinky for the kitchen (fish, saurkraut, onions, garlic etc ) the sideburner would be better ventilated.
My wife wont even let me bring saurkraut in the house. :(
I also love to do saute's but my wife doesn't like the mess. I probably need to practice my aim.
Anyway, I'm grateful to have the sideburner just in case I ever need it. I probably will soon.
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Post Thu Jan 29, 2004 3:53 pm
Gasman raw
raw

I used to have a grill with a burner and never used it... I decided that the extra table space is far more useful so when I got my latest grill, I did not even consider a side burner. Saves money too...

Previous

Return to General Discussion