Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Smoked Cheese

Smoked Cheese

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:37 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Well, this was my first attempt at smoking cheese. I suppose the first rule would be, don’t go off to the back forty and start up a conversation with the neighbor. Opps. My trial was a little too hot for a little too long.

I found that you need a really cold smoker. Only use enough coal to get some wood chips to smoke. You don’t want any heat in your smoker as it tends to separate the fat out or melt the cheese. Fortunately I had aluminum foil under the cheese (just in case) which caught and formed it (along with a few smoky cheese sickles on the sides). The kids and the in-laws still liked it. I used hickory to provide the smoke but I’ll bet that apple wood would be even better. And I chose sharp cheddar cheese to use as a guinea pig. You only need to smoke the cheese about an hour, as it tends to absorb the smoke easily.

We have a few more blocks of cheese in the fridge so I’ll be trying this again real soon. This time I think I’ll try only six briquettes!

Got Cheese? :D

Post Thu Jan 08, 2004 2:04 am
dkirn well done
well done

Bob -

Thanks for the info, that is something that I had never thought about making myself, but I am going to have to try it now.

Post Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:56 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I smoked some more cheese last evening. This time the cheese did not melt (and there was much rejoicing! Image). I found that six coals are enough to smoke the wood chips without producing too much heat. I also believe that because there was not as much heat, the cheese absorbed the smoke slower. So I smoked the cheese for two hours. Half way through I added six more lit coals (used the chimney starter for the first time and love it!!!) to the smoker and added wood chips every half hour. The Colby Jack cheese went in a creamy white and came out a smoky yellow. Smelled and tasted wonderful. I love smoked cheese and so do my boys. I told them not to eat it all because I want to stuff the jalapenos with it when I use my new Chili Grill! :)

Post Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:57 pm
dkirn well done
well done

Well its good to see that you are enjoying your new toys! Just curious, what type of wood chips are you using??

Post Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:28 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Somehow a big block of cheddar cheese found its way into my grocery bag this weekend. I guess I'll just have to smoke the little bugger! :wink:
These Northeast temps are great for smoking right now. With as cold as it is outside keeping low temperatures is no problem!

Post Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:16 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Dave, I've only had mesquite and hickory wood in the past so I chose hickory to smoke the cheese. I've since found some pecan so I'll try it with the next cheese I try. However, if I was as fortunate as ThrRoff (Larry) I would love to try a fruit wood like apple. For some reason it just seems like apple wood and cheese were meant for each other :)

Post Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:47 am
dkirn well done
well done

Bob -

Thanks for the info, I have some apple wood and a large chunk of Colby Jack so I think that I will give it a try this weekend.

Post Tue Jan 13, 2004 3:06 am
GrillGuy rare
rare

man i love smoked cheese. I bought a half pound of smoked gouda about a week ago, and to me it almost tastes like summer sausage. It's so good. I'm definitely going to try doing this at home, so thanks Bob-BQN.
Speaking of summer sausage, i also recently aquired my grandmothers recipe for it and will probably be trying to cold-smoke this at the same time as i try smoking the cheese. And while i'm at it i might as well make some smoked salt....

Post Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:25 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Hey Cheese Lovers,

I found information on smoking cheese by accident while researching green hardwood and thought I would share it with you.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/cheese.html

I got lost on this site for quite a while, there is a lot of useful info. They even discuss smoker temp problems!

Post Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:36 pm
chagan well done
well done

Grillguy- smoked salt? that sounds interesting, can you describe the process/outcome/ uses for us? Thanks.

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:13 pm
dkirn well done
well done

A few of Steven's recipes call for smoked salt. When I have something on the smoker I fill a small aluminum pan (4"x6") full of sea salt and leave it on the smoker while the meat smokes. It is great to use with rubs.

Post Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:54 pm
chagan well done
well done

Thanks dkirn, I missed that section in the book. Sounds like another way to add an additional depth of flavor. Will have to try this next time.

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Fri Jan 23, 2004 5:04 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Also try smoked paprika, it taste sooo good. I usually include two foil pans full of ice water when smoking such delicate things such as cheese and spices.

Return to General Discussion