Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Sideburner Poll?

Sideburner Poll?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Jan 21, 2004 9:22 pm
Vinsect well done
well done

Here's a poll for those of you with Sideburners on your grills. Do you ever use the extra burner?
If so, what do you cook on it?

Before I had a grill with a sideburner, I always wanted one. Now that I've had one for a while, I can't recall ever using it. From talking to my customers, (I sell grills at Home Depot) that seems to be pretty common.
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Post Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:13 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

I don't have a grill with a side burner, and that's by choice. I never bought one with the burner, because I never felt that I would use it. Nothing wrong with having one, It just comes down to choice.

Post Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:02 am
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Yeah, I do. But not as much as the manufactureres would like you to think.

As a rule they are not very wind proof or very powerfull.

Most of the time I find myself using a Coleman 3 burner pump-up (liquid-not LP) gas camping stove as my outdoor cooktop. Plenty of power, runs on Coleman fuel or unleaded and I can take it with us whether I have an LP hook-up or not.

I can boil water for corn faster than I could on our home stove, and keep the heat and moisture outside. They are practically bulletproof! The last one one we had lived for almost fifteen years and I stored it under the gas grill on our deck year round.

I also have 3 portable butane burners like you see at brunch buffet omlet stations. Use them for everything from keeping sauce warm to making chinese pot stickers for appetizers. Tal k about a great power failure stove!

The best place I've found to get them and get refills of fuel is at an Oriental market.

They should run less than $25.00 and the fuel (Target sells it for 4 or 5 dollars a can!!!)
runs about five bucks for a 4 pack! A can lasts alot longer than you think.

The best part is you can run it inside without any special ventilation. I just crack open a window and let 'er rip.

My smoker is a New Braunfels Hondo with a flat top plate welded onto the firebox. It keeps any basting or mop sauce as hot as you need without any extra contraption or fuel.

COME ON WARMER WEATHER!!! I"M TIRED OF SKATING TO THE GRILL!!! (I can put up with almost any amount of snow, but I really hate ice. Our back yard is pretty much shaded and the deck has an inch of frozen slush. (ThrRoff can feel my pain) Just give me some SUN!!)
Last edited by YardBurner on Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:20 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I have one on My Summit D. I didn't really want it but it came with the other features that I did. At the time I convinced myself that I'd use it, and I do but not alot. The main reason I use it is for sauces. Its great for keeping a BBQ sauce simmering or for those of you who have tried the chicken spray I spoke of, the side burner and a pot of water keeps the butter from congealing in the sprayer. Other than that I never use it. I will point out that in the absence of a side burner bbq sauce could still be kept warm in an all metal sauce pot right on the grill. I wouldn't trust my sprayer not to melt though.
Still feel its an overrated accessory.

Since Yard brought it up I have a Coleman too, but I have the powermax model with the compressed cylinders (silver CO2 looking fuel cells). I works great no pumping and constand flame until the end. Great for tailgating at the Raven's games or camping. It had a side burner too, and that one I DO use. Pots of coffee, soup, and baked beans mostly.

Post Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:44 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I have a Coleman stove but I haven't owned a piece of equipment with a side burner. However, I have always thought this would be a good feature to have for deep frying hushpuppys, frys, and fish. Maybe I'll need to reconsider this for a gas grill.

Does anyone have information about sideburners on BBQ trailer rigs? It seems like they would heat up enough to be useful.

Post Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:59 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

The side burners on a typical residential grill only put out between 10,000 and 15,000 BTU's.

Most of the ones i've seen attached to a trailer type grill or smoker are equal to a turkey fryers output of around 1000,000 to 150,000 btu.

Quite a difference don'tcha think?

I haven't been real successful frying much of anything on a side burner. Mine's not very well shielded from the breeze and it loses a lot of heat. Works fine for light saute' and keeping sauce warm.

Post Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:34 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Ten times hotter ought to do the trick!

You folks that have side burners yet do not really use them, is it because they don't get hot enough? Or that they really aren't as useful as a manufacture boasts? What's the reason, Yardburner brought up that they are not very powerful or wind proof, are there others?

Post Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:21 pm
chagan well done
well done

The turkey fryer comparison was interesting, why don't you pick up one of them. I aquired mine for 20 at Home Depot or one of them there places. This way you have your strong, windproof burner that gets plenty hot' and you can heat up and keep warm your sauces, deep fry your turkey or have a clam bake or what have you. The 30 quart size will be plenty big enough for anything you can probably think of. Except of course if you're trying to cook up a chagan :)
Last edited by chagan on Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:49 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

So do you use a rub or an alcohol based marinade on a chagen? And do you cook one full term or until it’s half-baked? :wink:

Post Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:18 pm

The chagan comes pre-marinaded in alcohol. A nice rub would be nice though.

Post Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:19 pm
chagan well done
well done

That was I

Post Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:39 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I say we inject it until it gets real nice and plump.

But I'm NOT RUBBIN' NOTHIN', ON NOBODY, NO HOW!!!

Post Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:56 pm
chagan well done
well done

LOL Yardburner! But you used double negatives.
Not rubbin NOTHING on NOBODY=rubbing something on everybody :lol:

Post Thu Jan 22, 2004 6:01 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

That sounds like a completely different and totally acceptable situation to enter into.

As long as somebody's rubbin'.... Ok, we're gettin' off track!

Post Thu Jan 22, 2004 7:04 pm
MReynolds well done
well done

To get things back on track here, I have two grills with sideburners. The only time I've ever used them is to simmer the sauce on the side. My wife likes her grilled meats swimming in sauce so it's easier to go take a dunk in the sauce than it is to brush it on. :wink:

Next

Return to General Discussion