Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint Any good BBQ places in the DC/MD/VA area?

Any good BBQ places in the DC/MD/VA area?

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?

Post Mon May 16, 2005 7:45 pm

I found a new place just south of Warrenton in Va.I think it is worth the drive from anywhere. On the corner of 29 and 17 is BBQ Country. The food is cooked over a wood fire and very very good.Its a worth wile trip if you like real BBQ. :D
I'm not CraZy....The voices in my head tell me so..

Post Mon May 16, 2005 7:49 pm

I've tried Adams and they are not bad,but i've also had Lefty's in Waldorf and they are better.Great beans also!
There is one other place in the Waldorf Maryland area that has pretty good ribs and that is "Texas Ribs"!

JMHO! Halfsmoke

Post Tue May 17, 2005 11:41 pm

I'm not sure if it is still around, but there was a little shack along Indian Head Hwy. I dont remember the name, but it had a huge faded plywood pig on the roof. Somewhere between the highway 228 turn off and Indian Head MD. I haven't been there in a decade but the pig was fantastic. This was one of those places that was only open a few days a week, but when it was open the line of cars stopped to get an order in was worse than any DC traffic. If anyone knows this place and if it is still open let me know. I will be heading back that way for a few weeks this summer and would like to see if my taste buds remember the place.
-Bomb Buster
AKA C. B. Harris

Post Wed May 18, 2005 8:58 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board BombBuster! :D

Post Wed May 18, 2005 10:12 pm

Thanks, I'm happy to be here.
-Bomb Buster
AKA C. B. Harris

Post Fri May 20, 2005 9:01 pm
502mids well done
well done

That place on 210 is still in business, one of the guys I work with has gotten food from them. I think it's past Marshall Hall. Next time I see him I'll get the details

Post Fri May 20, 2005 11:42 pm

Seeing as how the last time I was there was in 1992 I'm sure things have changed. Then again maybe not. I will just have to swing by and check it out.
-Bomb Buster
AKA C. B. Harris

Post Mon May 23, 2005 10:33 pm
stickman medium
medium

OK, so Mrs. Stickman and I have an impromptu BBQ event this weekend when we decided to go on a little road trip way out West - all the way to Loudon County! :D Anyhow, in our past lives, we had driven by a little BBQ stand on Route 29 several times on the way home from barnstormer airshows in Bealeton (which by the way I think everybody should go to since it is excellent family fun - especially in August when they have the balloon festival). Here is the airshow link - be sure to click the Discount link for a coupon: http://www.flyingcircusairshow.com/

Anyhow, the airshows are on Sundays, the traffic is nuts coming home on Sunday evening, blah blah blah so we have never stopped. However, this day was different because somewhere around Chantilly we started getting close to Willard's (see above) and thinking of BBQ when we remembered that place on 29.

It is called Jammin' Joe's and it is a few miles outside of Gainsville. It is a little shack with a barrel smoker and it smelled delicious as we pulled into the gravel parking lot. I got hungry so fast, I almost started gnawing on the railing as we climbed the little stairs to the order window. I got the ribs/chicken combo and Mrs. Stickman got the ribs/pulled pork combo. This was way more food than we needed, but how else could we try several things at once? The combos also came with sides - the cole slaw was good and the beans were particularly tasty.

Anyhow, the ribs turned out to be pull-apart tender, well smoked, and generally yummy. The chicken was OK, but I thought it was somewhat oversmoked. The pulled pork was good and had an interesting kind of sweet flavor. I am not sure what the spice was (maybe cloves or allspice? I don't know) but it worked. The sauce that came with it looked like it should be vinegar based, but was also kind of sweet - I would have liked a more vinegary sauce.

I think this place had the best ribs I have had in the area (although there are many places I haven't tried yet) and if you are ever near Gainesville, you should check it out. Incidentally, the little furniture place in the parking lot has pretty good deals on wood furniture like Adirondak chairs.

Stickman

Post Tue May 24, 2005 2:48 am
502mids well done
well done

BombBuster,

The place is called George's, on 210 south of Marshall Hall, on the left. A little white shack with about ten seats and good eats. Closed Mondays.

Further south near the base is Dave's, it's ok.

Enjoy!
Ya gonna eat that?

Post Wed May 25, 2005 12:36 am

Thanks 502mids,
that is definately the place I remember. Now I just have to actually make it back to try the food again.
-Bomb Buster
AKA C. B. Harris

Post Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:48 pm

I finally made my way to DC. I haven't gone down 210 to George's yet, but I plan on going tomorrow. I did give Capitol Q a try. It was OK and that's all. The pulled pork was good as well as the sausage. The hot BBQ sauce was nice. The brisket left something to be desired. It could have used another four hours in the heat. It was on the rubbery side. I will post again once I get down to George's and let everyone know what the scoop is.
-Bomb Buster
AKA C. B. Harris

Post Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:09 pm

As per the request of ddog27. Here is the web site for Capitol Q. I forgot to include it earlier. http://www.capitalqbbq.com/index.html
-Bomb Buster
AKA C. B. Harris

Post Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:19 am

Dixie Bones in Woodbridge VA is the real thing (http://www.dixiebones.com/). I live in Boston but visit family nearby. We call in our order as we exit 95 to route 1 and bring takeout to my brother and sister-in-law's house. Their Texas style brisket and ribs are first rate. I don't know if their pulled pork meets the standards of this thread's originator, but I like it.

Post Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:16 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Howdy Old Runner, welcome to the board! :D

Post Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:23 pm
waltermac

The best place in Baltimore, and possibly the entire Balt-Wash corridor is Andy Nelson's in Cockeysville, MD. It's honest BBQ Alabama style, with a heavy hickory smoke flavor. Only Pork and Chicken - no brisket. The atmosphere is down home and the prices are fair.

PreviousNext

Return to Best BBQ Joint