Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Green Wood or Dry Wood? Ginger or Mary Ann

Green Wood or Dry Wood? Ginger or Mary Ann

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Craig medium-rare
medium-rare

Thank you all for such great discussion. Airfoils is right about the sap leaving solids in the wood but being less strong. Maybe we can get everyones take on this. I have already learned a lot listening to you guys. Hey Air, I have been to Wilber's, but not Lexington.
Great eats!!!!! Ever try Parker's in Greenville, by ECU? Great last time I was there.
As far as the wood goes, I'm a bit low. But, now that hunting season is over, its time to crank up the Homelight and make sawdust.
Great Grilling,
Craig
And thanks for Nominating me to start this thread !

Post Wed Jan 21, 2004 8:27 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

Mary Ann :D

Yes, I have been to Parker's and your assessment is right on; awesome stuff indeed. I can't believe I forgot to mention the one we have here locally is a place called Bullock's and it rivals WIlbur's and Lexington IMHO although Lexington is a bit different (more western) to make a strict comparision. Bullocks is easily the most famous BBQ in the RDU area and for good reason. They have an almost perfect balance of seasoning/smoke/vinegar. Neither overpowers the other and it's amazing how consistent they are with such delicate balance. Superb stuff. I count myself fortunate to have them in my town. Their BBQ is the holy grail for which I strive to duplicate. It's kind of strange Steve missed them while he was here because they're quite famous. If you ever give it a try have some brunswick stew too. It's amazing.

Anyway, in keeping with the thread, I'm not particular about green or dry. I use dry most often because it's what's handy to buy. I typically use chunks because I don't always feel like soaking my wood in water and I can just toss them on and get suitable results. When I'm really smoking something in my smoker (not my grill) I'll soak them first. I don't find chips very useful at all since they HAVE to be soaked of they burn up immediately and their bark content is much higher. Bark won't kill you but it seems to impart an earthy flavor to me that I can do without. Maybe it's my imagination but it sure seems that way to me. Still, chunks sometimes have some bark and a little won't hurt ya. It's not like I sit on a stump carving bark off of every piece of wood I use. :P

Post Wed Jan 21, 2004 9:14 pm
Vinsect well done
well done

Craig,
Thanks for starting up this thread. I'd also like to see the question addressed of whether or not green wood will damage equipment? Hopefully, that's just a rumor.
From what I'm hearing so far, I'm getting the impression that green hardwood can be OK if you take the bark off, know how to use it, and know to expect a stronger flavor. Would those of you with experience on that let me know if I'm on the right track here.
As for Ginger or Mary Ann...
If I were a special guest on the Island just passing through... Ginger.
If I lived on the island long term, Mary Ann would be a better relationship type. Ginger's spoiled attitude would get old real fast.
But when it really comes down to it, I've always fantasized about having Ginger AND Mary Ann.
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Post Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:21 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Looking around online I've found that the 'Brinkman' owner's manuals along with the 'Grill Buddy' owner's manual both recommend the use of green hardwoods in their equipment.

Brinkman states: "Unless the wood is still green, soak the wood in water for 30 minutes".

Grill Buddy states: "Want to add the flavor of smoke to your meal? Then go chop down a pecan, apple, alder, or hickory tree. The green wood will be perfect."

Post Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:54 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

Therein lies the biggest problem with green wood for most. Availability. Where I live isn't condusive to just go around whacking limbs off of trees. You could probably get locked up for it. If I could I wood :P As a note, dry wood doesn't HAVE to be soaked, especially if using chunks and you're only cooking for a short period of time (grilling). To me there's not much point in soaking them if you have chunks and you're doing something like say hamburgers, steaks or pork chops. Just throw a chunk or 2 on and enjoy. Not to mention it ignites and smokes faster and since your food will cook quickly it stands to reason to get your smoke going quickly.

As far as green wood ruining smokers, that sounds like a bunch of rubbish to me. How exactly is it supposed to ruin them? Craig seems to have access to this fuel more than most of us, have you had any problems Craig?

Post Thu Jan 22, 2004 7:57 pm
Craig medium-rare
medium-rare

First and foremost, green wood(HARDWOODS ONLY!) will NOT damage your gear. The pit I have seen used and used myself is about as old as I am (35), and the only damage it sustained was from a log that was dropped on it, alas, green wood is heavy at 14 inches diameter. The only other thing is that over time, a long time, some residue will build up on the inside. Just a film, nothing more. This will add to the flavor just like a seasoned frying pan.
I am all for chunks over chips for an extended session, as the chunks last longer.
And I am a big charcoal user as well. If I used wood only every time I grilled, I would be in the same boat as the people wrecking the rain forests in South America.
And lastly, a tip on scoring some bonus green wood. Wherever you live, or in 2 hour radius, if you see anyone clearing land for any reason, houses, malls, fields, anything, ask whoever is doing it about getting rid of some of it for them. This is pretty shameless, but, it will work. Buy a National Audubon book on trees to familiarize yourself with the different bark configurations and you are in business.
" The wood is always greener on the other side of the fence"
Thanks for the all the discussion, Craig

Return to General Discussion