Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion CHILI POWDER!!! WHICH ONE???

CHILI POWDER!!! WHICH ONE???

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Jan 13, 2004 10:26 pm

:?
Hello everyone,
in the BBQ BIBLE, chili powder (NOT the Blend) is called in recipes. I have seen specific powders made with chipotle or scotch bonnet blends. Which one is the best for rubs or sauce (brisket/ribs)? And has anyone cooked with cherrywood? Please give me some stats. THANKS
"BBQing warms the heart"

Post Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:47 am
dkirn well done
well done

tealsandtails -

First off - welcome to our obsession! We all look forward to sharinig our insites and learning new things from you.

As far as a chili power for rubs it really comes down to personal tastes and preferences. As Steven refers to in his books do NOT use the blends they do not have the same flavor as the pure chili powder. Personally I like chipotle do to the smokey flavor that Chipotle has.

Post Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:56 am
ThrRoff well done
well done

There are more chile powders and chili powder blends than opinions on grilling. I recommend experimenting and picking something that suits your taste and then sticking with it to learn the taste. I have consistently used both the powder and blend for Penskys. If you change chilis all the time you never know how your dish is going to come out.

Post Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:18 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Like Roff and Dkirn say, experiment, see what suits you.
I can't believe that I'm going to do this but I'm going to differ with Dkirn (and Steve I guess) I don't mind the bottled blends. Two reasons, first they are easier to come by and second I like variety. If you find one recipe that you really really like then by all means hone it and go for the good stuff. But I like to try out different things. How else will you ever try all the different sauces rubs and marinades that Steve (not to mention others) tell us about in their books. I try not to use the same recipe for bbq two times in a row. But I do have my "go to" rub and sauce as well. Variety is the spice of life (sorry no pun intended). Different is not necessarily worse, especially when you figure in we each have our own tastes.

I like Ancho chili powder myself.

Good luck and Enjoy!

Post Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:16 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

tealsandtails.

Greetings and salivations! :D You’ll find a lot of good information from the folks that hang around here.

I tend to follow a recipe as closely as possible the first time though, mainly to see how it’s supposed to taste. After that, if it needs adjustin’ then I’ll tweak it to taste. In Steven’s books he mentions that his recipes are merely guidelines and encourages us to fine tune them to our palates. So give it a whirl and then you’ll know what it needs when taste it. As Grand Scale said, spice is the variety of life…or something like that! :wink:

Post Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:11 am

Thanks for all the friendly welcomes!
Do you guyshave a special website or store you frequent for your spices? Please let me in on it!!!!
Yes I'll try to follow the recipe as close as possible , then start experimenting the second time around. Thanks and talk to ya soon.
"BBQing warms the heart"

Post Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:17 am
stripegrill medium
medium

tealsandtails,
welcome, welcome. as far as spices go I like to go to Penzey's and Cost Plus World Market. I like world market a lot because they do have the spices in small amounts, so if it is something I will use for only one recipe I'll go there. For the standards, pepper, salt, chile powder, mustards, I would recommend penzeys. Try them at www.penzeys.com.

Post Thu Jan 15, 2004 1:02 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I too was just put on to Penzeys. I had not heard about them until recently but have had many positive reports and plan on ordering soon!

Post Thu Jan 15, 2004 7:06 pm
dkirn well done
well done

I purchase all of my spices from a local wholesale food distributor. Granted I use alot of spices for all of the rubs that I make, but I was surprised how small the minimum orders actually were. I think most people who are acustomed to shopping at some place like Sam's Club or Costo would not have a problem.

Post Fri Jan 16, 2004 8:05 pm

Thanks for the penzeys info.
I'm smoking 3 briskets this weekend. using basic BBQ rub with a kick of Chipotle TABASCO sauce -LOVE THIS STUFF! and a TEXAN Brisket sauce for the finish. I'll let ya know how comes out. THANKS TO ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have a GREAT WEEKEND!!! :D

Post Fri Jan 16, 2004 10:01 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

If you like the chipotle, see if you can find the habanero version. For a large scale national brand it packs a fairly decent kick.

For another source of chile's and other spices try

www.penderys.com

Great selection!

Post Fri Jan 16, 2004 10:22 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

YardBurner..Thanks for the link to www.penderys.com/ I'm one of those Sam's Club shoppers, but will have to give Pendery's a try. They have a good selection and look like they are pretty reasonable.

Pete

Post Sat Jan 17, 2004 11:20 pm

The Brisket was a HUGE HIT!!! I changed the basting to a beer/tabasco mop sauce and it WAS THE ----! I found the chili powder I like Chipotle and Habenero. Smoke with mesquite.Next time will be ribs. You know, I'm having problems with my pit, not satisfied with it. It is a 16 x 36 with the smoker box on the bottom of the cooking chamber, and I find that I can only cook with 24 inches on the surface because of the high heat coming directly from the bottom. I bought the El Dorado by Texas (something). and was looking for another pit. Been looking at the Gator Pits out of Houston. Anyone has one?? Any suggestions for custom pit from the South?? Any more companies? :)

Post Sat Jan 17, 2004 11:23 pm

Hey Ya'll. I wrote the article above. Sorry forgot to log in.
"BBQing warms the heart"

Post Mon Jan 19, 2004 10:12 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Hey tealsandtails,

If you are close enough or are planning to go to Houston to check out the Gator's, then it would be in your best interest to also plan a visit to see David Klose. You can see some of his work at http://bbqpits.com/ . His website isn't much to look at but his pits are top of the line.

Next

Return to General Discussion