Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion smoked turkey a success

smoked turkey a success

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:08 pm
tazimna raw
raw

My first attempt at smoking a turkey over the holidays was a great success. Very tender/moist and flavorful. I soaked 10# bird over night in water with 2 cups kosher salt and 1 cup brn sugar. Removed from water, RINSED WELL,dried and fridged for 4 hrs. Made a batch of steve's cajun injector sauce and injected into bird. Had smoker at 300 degrees for cooking/smoking process. Bird took exactly 6 hrs. Used apple chips and had water bowl in smoker filled with apple juice. basted bird with butter every 45 mins. MMMMM it was good. Will definately do again. Thanks for all the advice/help given here. Taz

Post Mon Jan 05, 2004 6:50 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Howdy tazimna,

Happy to hear all went well! :D I haven't done one of these yet, but I got an injector for Christmas so the next turkey will definitely be a smoked one. Thanks for the feedback!

Post Mon Jan 05, 2004 7:25 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

Congratulatons! I know that creation is good since I have done almost exactly the same with one myself with the exception that I stuffed it with apple and basted it with a mixture of steves cajun rub and maple syrup.

Post Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:05 pm
Steven Raichlen

You see? Smoking a turkey is really easy and the results are incredible. Thanks for giving it a try.
Steven Raichlen

Post Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:23 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Airfoils - I like that maple syrup idea...thanks for sharing!

Post Thu Jan 08, 2004 2:25 am
dkirn well done
well done

It;s been just over a month since Thanksgiving and I am craving smoked turkey again thanks to this post!!!

Return to General Discussion