Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Types of steaks?

Types of steaks?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:56 pm
CopperPot rare
rare

Okay folks I have what is probably a bit of a newb question:

What is the difference between a simmering steak, a grilling steak, and a marinating steak. I was at the super market tonight and I was comparing the three. The marinating steaks are the cheapest and the grilling steaks are the most expensive. I know it has to do with the tenderness but is there more that you can tell me.

If I get the simmering steaks (more economical), hit them with a good long marinade, and put them on the grill, will they be good or do they just have a different purpose?

Thanks again.

Post Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:05 pm
cigargreg medium-rare
medium-rare

Enjoy I hope this helps :P

http://www.bbqu.net/103.html
Mmmmm....nitrosylhemochrome....yummy....

Post Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:38 pm
Cajunhoot well done
well done

Select steak, Choice steak, Prime steak

Post Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:41 am

It was helpful but I'm still not sure what the difference is between a grilling steak and a simmering steak.

Post Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:44 am
Big D well done
well done

Well grilling, simmering, and marinating steaks aren't really types of steaks, but labels the local groceries stores put on different cuts based on how they suggest you cook them....

The marinating steaks have almost no flavour and are also not very tender (fillet minion or baseball cuts from the tenderloin have very little flavour but is very tender)... simmering s teaks are normally a little more flavourful but very tough and grilling steaks are good cuts like Porterhouses, tbones, fillet minon, Striploins that are all eiter really flavourful and a fairly tender or very tender and reasonably falvourful.... they are the best and what I would go with if Qin a steak just for eating by it self (I use the others for stews, chillis, etc.)

I am a Porterhouse guy myself

Post Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:01 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Very well put D. :D

There are a lot of folks in the general public that don't know enough about the different cuts of beef to know how to properly choose or prepare steaks. So like universal traffic signs, retailers are trying to simplify the selection process so that consumers don't have to educate themselves to be steak professors like we do here.

It has a lot to do with the amount of flavor, marbled fat and tenderness that the steak has. A grilling steak has to have the fat to keep from drying out and be tender enough to withstand the high heat of the grill without getting tough. Does that say RIBEYE to anyone else. :wink: Mmmmmmm.

Post Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:21 am

Wow, thanks. Great information.

Return to General Discussion