Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Mad Cow disease

Mad Cow disease

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Dec 29, 2003 6:28 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

I know we were discussing it in another thread but I thought it warranted it's on thread. Looks like the situatioin is getting worse but as long as you don't eat cow brains or spinal chords, it's supposedly safe or at least what I heard. With these other countries refusing our beef maybe we'll get a good chance to stock up our freezers :D

Post Mon Dec 29, 2003 6:47 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Imagine if you will two cows standing in a pasture and the one cow turns to the other and says "what do you thing about all this mad cow hub bub?" To which the other cow solemnly replies "what do I care, I'm a helicopter"

Beef is my friend. I fear no steak!

Post Mon Dec 29, 2003 11:24 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

I think this would be a good thread to follow. I expect with so many countries refusing our beef, I feel the prices are going to be reduced drastically. Supposedly, there is a possibility that the meat was shipped to 8 states. I'm not planning on changing any of my eating habits at this point until there is solid evidence that I should. I'm going to continue to eat beef, and as always, I'll be looking for some great bargains. The bulletins state that our beef supply is safe, and I'll continue to support that theory.

I hope they get a handle on this thing before our beef industry is ruined. It is the responsibility of the Media to report accurately, but I believe they tend to sensationalize a bit too much at times. :?

This is my personal opinion, and now I'll get off the soap box. :roll:

Post Mon Dec 29, 2003 11:48 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

I agree with Pete. I think the whole thing has been over hyped and I pitty the ranchers and farmers who just had their market disappear. We are simply going to be careful where we buy beef -- Coleman's at Whole Foods. I intend to keep eating it.

Post Mon Dec 29, 2003 11:54 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

One cattle rancher was explaining that his ranch and herd are his 401K, and that this could absolutely destroy his Family's future. Again, I hope that the news media just reports the facts.

Post Tue Dec 30, 2003 9:35 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

If anyone's afraid to eat the steaks in their freezer you can send them to:
The Grill Guys on Steve's BBQ Board
c/o the Barbecue Bible website

We'll happily destroy (eat) them for you free of charge!

This too shall pass...

Post Tue Dec 30, 2003 2:41 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Does anyone know if cooking the beef longer will make it safe, similar to the reasons we cook our pork & poultry 170-180 degrees?

Post Tue Dec 30, 2003 3:14 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I have heard that it will help, and that as a result some restaurants have temporarilly stopped serving rare meats.

But what is the proper internal temp for cows brain and spine anwway?

It seems to me the only people who need to worry are fear factor contestants.

Post Tue Dec 30, 2003 6:04 pm
stripegrill medium
medium

Here is an article that occurred in the local paper on Mad Cow.
http://www.dailyherald.com/news_story.a ... d=37985295

Post Tue Dec 30, 2003 7:35 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

Thanks for the article stripegrill, looks like we can stock up in January! :D

Post Wed Dec 31, 2003 12:30 am
chagan well done
well done

I don't thinnk that cooking the beef to a higher temp will have much an effect as what temps normally do is kill bacteria. Mad cow is a disease that is passed on from cattle to humans (in a different strain) it is not bacteria. it is of the viral variety which means that it is at the cell level. This is my opinion as I am not a doctor, however, I too will continue to buy beef regularly and look for those bargains to appear. I would be slightly more aware if in fact, I lived in one of those western states, or Guam, but not much more. This is the source from one cow, I understand- it cannot be that far spread if this is the extent of what we are to believe.

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Wed Dec 31, 2003 1:53 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

All this "Mad Cow" press hype hasn't gotten me worried or concerned, I am just curious to know a little bit more about it. We were in Germany when Mad Cow hit England so we were pretty close to it. The base commisary had signs near the beef stating that no beef was purchased from England so we never gave it a second thought. We have to be concerned more about the ebola virus than Mad Cow at the moment.

Post Wed Dec 31, 2003 9:56 am
hickory pete well done
well done

Stripegrill, that was the first article that I've read that makes any sense. I'm sticking to my original plans, and will be looking for some great bargains to load up the freezer.

Post Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:11 am
dkirn well done
well done

Well I was at my butcher's yesterday and the coversation drifted to Mad Cow, and his comment was, "Every cow that I have butchered throughout my life seemed to have Mad Cow - they all get pretty pissed when you come at thew with a big knife!"

I don't think it is a big deal except for the ranchers who will suffer from the media over attention to this

Post Tue Jan 06, 2004 12:05 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

Next

Return to General Discussion