Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Thermometer Usage

Thermometer Usage

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:21 pm
ajhunter well done
well done

I have seen many posts and pics on using thermometers... what do you do when you have 4 to 6 butts working and a couple of briskets too? Do you have thermometer for each one? Opening and closing the smoker lid will kill the steady temps, so how you all handle this?

Tony
2 WSMs, CG
KCBS CBJ

Post Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:51 pm
cmcadams well done
well done

Tony,

I have 5 different probes I can use. If I have more than that on the smoker, I put the probes in the items I think will reach temp first, then after they rest, I put the probe into whatever is left. I'm getting a thermapen, which has a very small probe, and supposedly won't cause the loss of juices due to a much smaller hole.
Curt M
Bucky McOinkum's BBQ
Website
Blog

Post Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:46 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I'm exactly like Curt. I start with the short time and then just keep swapping probes as things finish. I have 5 as well. Right now I have a generic "instant read" but like Curt I'm wanting a Thermapen really bad. From everything I hear they are the only way to go.

Post Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:40 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Can you say DITTO? I have 3 remote probes and monitor the items I think will finish first. As they're done I move the probes to the next hunk of meat. And I am also wanting to get a Thremapen. :D

Post Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:11 pm
hrchdog well done
well done

I got in on the NU-TEMP deal so I have three probes and switch them as things get done . I want a thermapen also.
Wes

Post Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:31 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Yes you do, the thermapen is a instant reas style, stick and go.

Post Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:57 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

I don't cook in as big of quantities as do Bob and Grand Scale, but when I do, I use the same technique with the probes, especially for long cooks. I believe the Thermapen is indispensable. I check the temperature of meats I cook as they appear to be done. It sure saves one from over cooking smaller cuts.

Post Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:55 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Or better yet I know you can get them direct from the Therma Pen Website, perhaps they'll offer a deal to the board like the folks at Nu-Temp did?
But if Carlos can hook us up I'll throw him some business.

Post Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:44 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I haven't found anywhere to buy a thermapen except from the ThermaPen Website. :( It would be great to find a deal but I think they control the market.

Post Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:04 am
cmcadams well done
well done

I think they do have a deal; buy 5 and get one free, or something like that. If you have friends, you can split them up and save a portion of that. Not a bad deal. Or buy the bundle and sell the others for full price and get yours free.
Curt M
Bucky McOinkum's BBQ
Website
Blog

Post Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:40 pm
bbqgalore rare
rare

Hi fellas,

We don't sell the Thermapen, but it looks cool, so I passed it along to our buyer for review.

Thermoworks seems to have a buy 5 get 1 free deal!
-Carlos Pero
E-Commerce Manager
Barbeques Galore

Post Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:59 pm
weekend cook well done
well done

OK Curt, GS, BobBQN, Hrchdog. Im willing to help. If we can find a sixth person... Are you ready to drop the $$ for this. My wife would probably ask why I need another thermometer, but sometimes its easier to beg for forgiveness then ask for permission.

http://www.thermoworks.com/specials.html
Louie aka Caveman Cooking Over Fire.

Next

Return to General Discussion