Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Saturday's Barbecue Competition Experience

Saturday's Barbecue Competition Experience

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I went to visit some BBQ friends at a BBQ competition Friday after work since the competition was nearby. Well, when I arrived the guy was there all by himself. One of his partners had to work overtime because his company was switching 1,000's of clients to a new service over the weekend and his other partner's wife had an out-of-state death in the family.

I had originally stopped by just to chat and have a good time but when I saw he was alone I asked if he needed some help. He was so happy that I was willing to help. So I got a list of this he needed and picked them up on the way home. I got home around 10:00 pm and told my wife that I needed to leave early in the morning to help with the cook-off. It’s great to have an understanding wife! Saturday, I got up at 4:30 in the morning (only got 4 hours sleep) and headed to the cook-off. I was there all day long (from 5:15am ‘til 6:00pm) not a cloud in the sky, in a parking lot with no shade and forgot to bring any sunscreen lotion :oops: (at least none of the BBQ got burned :wink: ).

Now I didn’t do any of the cooking for this competition. Competing is expensive; you have traveling expenses, entry fees, the cost of meat – spices – equipment and other supplies, etc…. and he paid for everything, therefore he had everything to gain or lose so he took care of the cooking. I was there to lend a hand and take some of the pressure off. I tended the fire, handed stuff, carried stuff, tore off sheets of foil, helped clean up, etc…

I got to meet and talk with some of the other characters … I mean cooks, out there as well. Many of the folks around us took home prize money. One of the guys & his wife entered the “other” category which can be just about anything. They cooked pulled pork for their entry. When he found out that another guy cooked ribeye steaks, he proclaimed jokingly that he just blew $10 on a pork butt :lol: . Well when the awards were handed out they beat the steaks by 3 places and won $100! :D

We entered chicken, ribs, brisket, and chili. The chicken, brisket and chili all reached the finals tables :) but didn’t place :( . It was all very, very good food! I’ll tell you that I didn’t go hungry at all that day. This chili has won many contests and is very good. 8)

All in all, it was a fun time. I always have a good time around BBQ. But on the flip side of the coin, competing is a lot of work. BBQ is fun work. :D

Post Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:13 am
irishfolker medium
medium

Good of you to jump in to help a friend in need. That's a good woman you've got as well. Any day with BBQ is a good day!

Jeff
Thig Crioch air an t-saoghal ach mairidh gaol is ceol

Post Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:16 am
Sledneck well done
well done

Did anyone take pics?
Steve

Post Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:33 am
Cajunhoot well done
well done

I agree with how much work it is after seeing the characters at the Hammond, La competition. Some of the rigs are just unbelievable. Unless someone needs my help I think I'll stick to watching.

Post Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:52 am
crazyhorse medium-well
medium-well

thats a great story Bob and way to help out a friend

ive always wanted to go to a comp but dont think i would care to compete, i bet the smells of wood burning and food cooking there is incredible

Post Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:29 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

No pictures that I know of.

Post Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:38 am
Sledneck well done
well done

Their is a kcbs sanctioned event july 23-24 in my area, 1st time ever and I will be in europe!!!! Im so mad! I gotta go light a fire to calm me down, between that and paul kirks class being cancelled i have to do a lot smoking therapy
Steve

Post Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:21 pm
Big D well done
well done

sounds like a lot of fun, I have a pretty competitive spirit and would love to head south for some real competing someday

Post Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:02 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Some of the guys were saying that they've talked with folks from the northern states that have less than ten entrants in their competitions where we'll have 50 to 100 and more at our cook-offs. Competition is a lot stiffer in the deep south. With more competitors and more events it's tough to make it to the invitational competitions.

Post Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:20 pm
charred medium
medium

Bob, thanks for the 'insider' story, you were good to your friend!

Sledneck, sorry about the luck! If you said that outside of this circle, you might send people running for the phone! :twisted:

Post Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:41 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Hey Bob Since you like to help out, I could always use a hand at my Chili cookoff if you're in the neighborhood! :wink:

Post Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:12 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I'd love to try some of that chili....I mean help out. :lol:

Post Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:39 pm
missing link well done
well done

Bob that sound about like you to help out when you know that your friends are down. I got to help out at the houston barbecue cookoff this year . what i ment was all i did was set around eat and i main eat maybe next year i will get to help out a littie more but boy did i learn some new thing.

thanks for the information,
Missing link.
Have Fun and keep it Low and Slow.

Post Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:41 am
Ghost_of_winter medium-well
medium-well

It's nice to have friends like you around that are willing to spend the day helping out Bob :)

Next

Return to General Discussion