Board index Barbecue Board Testimonials Beer-Can Chicken

Beer-Can Chicken

Share your war stories, your successes, and how Steven's books have changed your cooking from charburgers to grilling magic.
Post Mon Dec 29, 2003 6:18 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

I recently purchased the "Beer-Can Chicken" book. I never thought there could be so many variations to cook a chicken this way. I'm looking forward to trying out the recipes in the book. The only problem I'm having is, which one to try first??

Post Tue Dec 30, 2003 2:56 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Pete,

We don't drink beer so we started with the Coke Can Chicken. I've done several since and they are delicious. Just pick your favorite beverage and you won't be disappointed!

Bob

Post Tue Dec 30, 2003 11:18 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

Bob,

Thanks for the idea. We're the same over here, we don't use alcohol. Sounds like the Coke-Can chicken is where I'll start.

Pete

Post Wed Dec 31, 2003 1:46 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I'll be waiting to here how it goes. Coke Can Chicken was the "first" Raichlen Recipe that I tried so it left a lasting impression.

Enjoy!

Post Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:42 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

Bob,

After waiting too long to try Coke-Can Chicken because of the outside temperatures, I've decided to give it a try in the oven. Hopefully, it will come out okay. As I'm sitting here looking out the doorwall, it's snowing like crazy. It's indoors for me right now :(

Pete

Post Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:34 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

Bob-BQN wrote:
I'll be waiting to here how it goes. Coke Can Chicken was the "first" Raichlen Recipe that I tried so it left a lasting impression.

Enjoy!

I was able to make a Cola-Can chicken today. It was probably the juciest, most tender chicken I have ever tasted. It was cooked to perfection. I used the basic rub from the Beer-Can Chicken book on pg. 37. The only difference was that I added garlic powder. The flavor of the chicken was very mild without any one spice standing out. I'd like to experiment and have the end result with a stronger, more zesty flavor. I know that trying different flavors is part of the experience. The roaster and the book are an amazing combination.

Pete

Post Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:41 am
Grillslinger BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I did my first one tonight....came out ok, but a bit undercooked. Gotta keep paracticing!
Last edited by Grillslinger on Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:11 am
spfranz well done
well done

As far as the non-alcohol recipes in that book go, I'd highly recommend the lemonade can chicken. It's excellant!

Scott
I like vegetarians. Some of my favorite foods are vegetarians.

Post Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:12 pm
snapshot0729 well done
well done

Some place buried in here in the archives I have a test when I did 14 or so BCC's for a church function and the reviews of all the different sodas (6 with a water control group) I tried. Didn't do a lemonade group but that might have to be tried at the next gathering.
Joe

Post Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:04 pm

I have used Martinelli's Sparkling Apple Cider (www.martinellis.com) in the beer can chicken recipe with great success. Sometimes, I'll add a Martinelli's Mulling Spice bag to the can for even more apple effect. Yummy.....

Post Tue May 24, 2005 4:19 am
Bolo medium
medium

Beer Can Chicken is the only way I ever make a whole chicken now. I always do it in the oven. I have done it on the bbq a couple of times but that uses up to much propane. I have cooked it for friends a couple of times and they love it. I have done it for my parents and that is the only way they like it too. Thx for the book there Steven. I have only used the basic rub but want to try something new this time. I will post later to let you guys know and how it turned out.
"Baa Be Cue"

"It's Just Not For Breakfast Anymore"

Kingsford 22 1/2 inch Kettle BBQ

Post Wed May 25, 2005 7:42 am
Smokin Joe medium
medium

The oriental 5 spice rub is one of my favorites 8)
Grillin' in the Sunshine State

Post Fri May 27, 2005 4:04 am
Bolo medium
medium

I recommend just trying the basic rub BCC. Try that one and then try others as you will be able to judge what is best. From the original BCC to what ever one your taste buds choose.
"Baa Be Cue"

"It's Just Not For Breakfast Anymore"

Kingsford 22 1/2 inch Kettle BBQ

Return to Testimonials